• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layers in Photoshop

Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to everyone  , I am just returning to Photoshop after a very long time off and I have to start all over again so please pardon the " stupid" questions that I might be asking all over again. But also please remember that I am  a novice at Photoshop.

Question : When I put a photo in Photoshop  it goes on the background layer ,  and when I add a second photo it erases the first clip and it goes on to the background also .

Now if I have three (3) clips in Photoshop how can I get to see then as  Layer  3

Layer 2

Layer 1

Background

Thanks very much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

It sounds like you have opened 3 separate documents. You need to combine them into a single document to have layers. I recorded this video that shows different ways that you can combine images into a single document. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgaDPeujU3Y&sns=em

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I put a photo in Photoshop  it goes on the background layer ,  and when I add a second photo it erases the first clip and it goes on to the background also .

No, when you open two images they are simply open as two separate files, nothing is erased.

Maybe you should abandon the tabbed display and use floating windows to better appreciate this.

Now if I have three (3) clips in Photoshop how can I get to see then as  Layer  3

Layer 2

Layer 1

Background

One can copy/paste (not a very good option, though), drag/drop, use File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack, …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I probably do not have a  complete understanding of how Photoshop works . As I said earlier I have 3 clips in Photoshop  ,  I though that :

Clip -1  was always the BACKGROUND LAYER  and then

Clip -2 would show as LAYER _ 2

Clip - 3  would show as  LAYER _3

But when I click on CLIP - 2  this now shows as THE BACKGROUND LAYER , ETC ETC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you have opened 3 separate documents. You need to combine them into a single document to have layers. I recorded this video that shows different ways that you can combine images into a single document. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgaDPeujU3Y&sns=em

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you , thank you , thank you Theresa J .  very well explained . That is exactly what I to know . . . . .  how to open three (3) separate individual clip layers.

Nice job and very well done , once again thanks very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love your  U tube tutorials Theresa  ! ! ! !   . . . . . one more thing while I have your attention.

Under the file menu there is  PLACE EMBEDDED  and PLACE LINKED  , can you please explain the difference between the two ?

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my video tutorial with explanation The Difference Between Linked and Embedded Smart Object Layers in Photoshop - YouTube

If you need more help do not hesitate to ask more questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much to you also Bojan  , another awesome tutorial . . . . very good .

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Theresa  , like I said your tutorial is awesome but I am having just a slight problem ,

In demonstration No.1  Tabbed Drag & Drop  :   When I click on the tab of a clip  and try to drag like you said to do  , the entire tab along with the clip moves from it position and when I drag into the other image I am not achieving the same effect as you having  . . . what am I doing wrong ?

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent video.  You've solved my issue and now, more importantly, I understand why and how, thanks to you.  Thank you again for an exemplary learning video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just saved my sanity with your instruction video on how to combine layers form other tabs into one document.
I feel like I have wasted days trying to figure this out. 
I couldn't figure out how to write the correct search terms in Adobe help, I guess...
I am also trying to figure out how to combine several timeline frame animations into one file in Animate from Photoshop.
If you can help me, I will be very grateful.
I can't seem to figure out how to port my work over into Animate, so that I can combine all my work into one animation short.
If you don't happen to know, please point me in the right direction, maybe by giving me the correct search terms?
Maybe there is no point in trying to work in Animate?
I just thought it would give me more control and functionality. (?)

I am trying to get my skill level up because I am an artist and software developer working in Augmented Reality and I need to be able to put my art into animations that I can then place into my code, and then share with everyone...in their 'realities'.
Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I’m glad my video helped you out. Thanks for letting me know. I don’t have much experience with Animate so I recommend you ask your question in the Animate forum. I’m sure someone there can help you out. Here’s the link Adobe Animate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines