• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog is on an external drive, yet as CC syncs my main HD is filling up???

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I cant even find where or what data is filling it up. Aside from having the dreaded sync just hanging issues. I am now sitting here watching my main HD fill up with no clue what or where the data is going. Its like its magically off the books.

Can any one tell me what’s going on? I’ve been so frustrated with Adobe...and making this switch to CC is starting to feel like a huge mistake.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRCC maintains a "library" locally, with data about your albums, folders, images, and some smart previews. That library is held on your main system drive and cannot be changed. However, there are controls provide to the user to help manage the amount of space needed by the application.

For instance, you can set a value for the percentage amount of the free space on the drive that you are prepared to allow LRCC to use (note that there is minimum amount of space which is needed by the app to function). You can also elect to have all the Smart Previews downloaded into the cache, or elect not to). And finally you can elect (or not) to have local copies of all the original files in the cloud stored on a hard drive....though this option comes with a second option to store the local originals on a different drive (but that cannot be a NAS).

So look at the Local Storage tab on the LRCC Preferences, and use the controls provided there to help manage your space utilisation on your main drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this, and I had already turned much of that off prior to starting the sync.

But there is data that is unaccounted for. I went from 130GB free to 46GB free (and the sync isn't even complete) Yet the lightroom cc folder on my local drive is reading about 20GB big...where is the other 60GB that suddenly got eaten up?

This new app is a giant cluster. And adobe made it even harder to try and switch plans to get Lightroom Classic back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've not selected either of the options (store smart previews locally, or store copies of original files locally), and the LRCC library is taking 20GB, it's difficult to understand what other disk space LRCC could be using. Are you not able to figure this out from an analysis of the hard drive, i.e. are you certain that LRCC is using that additional HD space?

Which direction are you syncing, i.e. downloading files from the cloud, or uploading files to the cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh, so now you’re starting to understand my frustration.

Im uploading. All original files are on an external, which has been designated as local source for the app.

And no. A hard drive analysis is not turning up where the rest of that magical data has gone.

Far as I can tell this is a half baked app thats Buggy as hell. Don’t get me started on how it bugs out and then you have to restart your computer every time to get it working again.

Im currently deleting Everything. Not worth my time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davids74742610  wrote

Im currently deleting Everything. Not worth my time.

Does that mean it's not worth my time to try to help figure this out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've wasted over half a day on this. I don't have time to deal with anymore.

Even more frustrating that Adobe won't let me switch to the Photography 20GB $9.99 plan with this plan in place, they'll only let me move to the $19.99 one, which I refuse to do.

Is it worth your time to figure out? I do not know. I think it's worth Adobe's time to deliver a product that doesn't alienate most of their users. I've been using Adobe for over 20 years...I've finally had it, and this poorly implemented app might be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JKost.png

Read her words. Listen to her info videos and to her tutorial videos.

NOWHERE does she ever suggest that Lr CC is a replacement for Lr Classic or that both should be 'synced' into one, conflicting, giant catalog in the sky (cloud).

She uses words like - "Which Workflow is Best", "Which of the Lightroom desktop applications is best for your photography".

"WHICH" but never both together!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines