• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I import shit at it's location?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 3 4 tb hard drives plus a 16tb NAS that I keep my photos on, but I somehow have to put all my content on my C drive? Wtf is this?

I can't even fit one of my wedding clients on my C drive. This is bullshit.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

I think you want Lightroom Classic CC. Import your photos and set up a shared collection. That shared collection will provide smart previews that can be viewed on mobile devices to do the things you are talking about. Based on what you have indicated you want to do, Lightroom Classic CC would be my recommendation.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Furthermore, why is it storing all my photos in the cloud? I should be able to do my editing while I'm not at home with smart previews... this is extremely not well thought out...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not well thought out?  I agree.

Maybe understanding a system and how it works would have been thought out before attempting to use it.

It's storing all your photos 'in the cloud' because that is exactly what it's intended to be used for. Lr CC is a Cloud Based System.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just to clarify.

I can't have more than 20gb in my library if I want to see it on other devices.

Answer me something seriously. When is the last time you shot ANYTHING with a 16 gb memory card????

So I can't even have a single client session on Lightroom cc? This is pure bullshit.

My point about syncing all my photos to the could, I believe we are (as a programmer AND photographer ) at a point where we can use a compressed version of the images to do the editing. Syncing terabytes of data is simply wasteful and I can't believe this is actually the direction they are taking..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can purchase additional storage if your heart is set on using Lightroom CC. As stated above, Lightroom CC is a cloud based system, so it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do. As a photographer myself, I am still opting to use Lightroom Classic for 95% of my projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic IS the application you want to use unless you want to store your images in the cloud - although most pro photographers have way too many images and can't waste the time it takes to upload.

Lightroom CC is more like the old Lightroom Mobile part of the traditional Lightroom application.

We use Lightroom Classic and every image is stored on external drives, just like before. And of course we make back ups of those external drives just incase.

Lightroom Classic has only gotten better.

Although the application naming convention is deceptive I agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A REAL pro would have a CALIBRATED monitor on their main system for 'working on' photos.

They would also have neutral lighting - no windows and 6500º k lights.

There would be NO purpose in syncing photos to a cloud so they could 'work on them' on a laptop, pad or phone.

If they tried, they would just be chasing adjustments around in circles since every monitor/screen shows the photos differently.

'Viewing on any device' is the same. A photo adjusted to a photographer's liking on a calibrated (or even not) monitor on a desktop is not going to look the same on a laptop, pad of phone.

People who are syncing massive libraries/catalogs to the cloud are only kidding themselves - IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neox99 - Thanks, we got all that, There is, however, a ton you can do outside the studio: culling, exposure balance, correction brush and so on...

Don't be daft.

To the others for answering. I just hope this is not the official direction that adobe is taking this software...

My point still stands, however, in that, your studio computer should be able to act as the "server' or "host" to all the source files, while it syncs only the smart previews for culling and other crap you can do while you are away from the studio. (or even outsource this 'lighter' set of images to other houses - which, Neox99, PROFESSIONALS DO)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you want Lightroom Classic CC. Import your photos and set up a shared collection. That shared collection will provide smart previews that can be viewed on mobile devices to do the things you are talking about. Based on what you have indicated you want to do, Lightroom Classic CC would be my recommendation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess, it was my understanding that this functionality was taken away with the new lightroom CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not at all. Lightroom Classic CC is still alive and well. Works like it always has. Lightroom CC, the new one, is a new program with a new approach, for a different audience or market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not a clue what your rant is about. You offer no specifics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You appear to be confusing the new Lightroom CC (web based application) with Lightroom Classic CC (the update for earlier Lightroom CC 2015).

Check the link below for more info.

Lightroom CC vs. Lightroom Classic CC | Adobe

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines