Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ticket Numbering

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am creating a file in inDesign for a client that is asking for numbered tickets. They'd like to be able to print a specific number for each ticket. I've read some of the older answers for similar questions that refer to Data Merge, but I'd prefer not to take that route if avoidable. What I'd ultimately like to do is create a space for the numbers to go, select the number of pages within the Print menu, and have the spaces populate with the corresponding numbers while printing.

If this is not possible within inDesign, is it possible in Acrobat? If neither, is there a program or script that would allow me to do this?

Much thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's neither possible in InDesign nor in Acrobat in the way you describe. The best answer is to create the numbers in Excel and use Data Merge.

If you want to explore the scripting route, I'd suggest asking in the InDesign Scripting forum:

InDesign Scripting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends what the design is for the tickets. But if you set up primary text frames, linked for the area for the numbers, you can create a numbered list with the numbering format you want. Then, just pour in a whole load of paragraph returns that have that numbered list applied. And make sure each numbered paragraph is set to start in the next column.

I haven't tested it since I don't know your layout, but it should work.

As far as printing goes, you could just set the first of the numbered list to start at the number you want and then print just those pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you tell us more about what you are calling "specific number", is it just 00001, 00002, etc... (I guess not, that would be just too easy ^^)

Please also provide a screenshot of your design, that could help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's not overthink this one, folks.

Create the numbers in Excel (shouldn't take more than a minute or two). Save it as a text file.

Create the text frame for the numbers in InDesign and if there are more than one ticket per page, link them. Place the text file into the first frame with a shift click to auto flow and create new pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hit send too soon:

Some tips to make this easier:

Create a paragraph style for the numbers and have them always start in a new frame. Create an object style for the frame and assign the paragraph style to the object style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your time and comments. What I was hoping to avoid was having to render out every ticket inDesign before printing. Seems like that is unavoidable. I'll try the way you folks have suggested, thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s known as variable data printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experimenting on a technique I read in InDesign magazine by Stefano Bernardi which may work. It is as follows…

1. Create a text frame on the Master page, while dragging, split the frame horizontally and vertically using arrows on the keyboard (Gridify your frame), this way all frames are threaded, you may do the same on both pages of the Masters (Spread) but make sure you link last frame of left Master page and first text frame of right Master page.

2. Create a Paragraph Style for the sequential numbers, in the left pane, click on Bullets and Numbering to access its options and change it as per below screenshot.

numbers.jpg

3. In left pane, click on Keep options, and change Start Paragraph option as below, and hit OK.

keep-options.jpg

4.  Type tool, place insertion cursor in the first text frame on page 1, (remember this frame is on the Master), apply your paragraph style you've just created, press and hold Return button as this will apply Paragraph Style and the cursor will jump to next frame.

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 3.09.53 PM.png

5. What I did more, I changed InDesign's Type preferences for Text reflow so InDesign would add and delete pages as needed automatically.

smart-text.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use an application called Number-Pro http://www.number-pro.com

This application creates a data file that can be used with Indesigns Mail/data merge feature that easily allows for numbering raffle tickets and documents and even allows for numbering in multiple locations that is often needed on raffle tickets that require a numbered stud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your clear instructions for this workaround - I'm going to try this for sequentially numbered tickets in a week or two. It seems to work great in the rough file I set up so I'm hopeful it'll work when I actually have to create the print files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made a couple of videos on my youtube channel that address this issue:

1: Making Sequential Numbering using Data Merge (files don't have to be merged to a new ID file but can be merged directly to a new PDF): Episode 6: Making Sequential Numbers for a Data Merge - YouTube

2: Cut and Stack within Data Merge using a script I've made for the task: Episode 9: Cut and Stack Assistant script - YouTube  (the script is available from my website https://colecandoo.com/downloads/ for FREE).

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added "Ticket Numbering" to a project years ago, without using any of the methods mentions above (that I know of).

This was frustrating to figure out the first time and I'm trying to remember how I did it years later with a new project that needs numbering. I'm cheating by reverse engineering a cut and paste from the old work.

I created Text Boxes for numbers on Coupons and each one has a number incrementally higher than the last. (I believe these can even be placed in multiple documents.)

You need to set up the Numbering using Paragraph Styles.
- Select your text box.

- Paragraph Styles (F11)>Create New Style (Paper with folded corner symbol)>Bullets and Numbering

- You will need to create a List and name it. This allows you to have different counts in the same document, using different lists.

- You can also set a number of count options and formats on the Bullets and Numbering page.

To insert a Number
- Type>Insert Special Character>Markers>Section Marker

- (I am currently getting the word "section" showing up and I don't know how to remove that. I apologize for not chasing that problem down.)

Numbering.jpg

I hope that helps and I'm not being redundant with another answer.

Mark Charke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This article gives a good detailed instruction on using a Data File and the Data Merge Function in InDesign.

I have used it quite successfully. 

https://www.minespress.com/creating-numbered-raffle-tickets-with-indesign-tutorial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Personally I use Number Pro for all my numbering needs. You can find it here http://number-pro.com

I hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines