• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relative paths for linked files in Photoshop cc 2017

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Complaint: I am soooo sick of relinking every single broken link every time I move the location of my photoshop files.

Question: Is there a way to place linked files in Photoshop as relative links instead of absolute links?

I'm looking for any of these:

- Option (built into p-shop) where I can specify linked files to be "relative" instead of "absolute"

- Script that batch relinks broken links when you point it to the location of a folder that contains all the linked files (like in InDesign)

- Plug-in or extension that does either of the above

My situation:

I share my Photoshop files with other designers and developers and keep all my links in one folder, but I often have to change the location of that folder. This works fine for InDesign and Illustrator because you can batch update the path to your links, but in Photoshop you have to painstakingly go through every single linked file and relink it.

What I know so far (and why it doesn't work for me):

I know you can package the photoshop file before sharing it, or link to cc library graphics instead of files, but those options aren't compatible with my company's workflow. The IT department requires us to save all our files on servers that frequently run out of space, so I end up moving files to my dropbox to work on them without interruption, then moving them back to the server when there's space available.

My wish:

For Photoshop linked files to work like InDesign and Illustrator linked files (relative path, batch relinking, links panel).

A little help? Anyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same +

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem in both photoshop and illustrator. It's very annoying. We should be able to choose between relative and absolute paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear User,

i just relocate one file manually but all other still were unlinked with this little question mark. I was about to relocate all linked-files manually, But once i re-opened others psd's all link-pathes were "reorganized" according to the new folder. Ugh, two hours research and fuss for nothing. Adobes Filemanagment seem to change the path somewhere in the background. Sor.. *cough* ..ry adobe. Probably my impatience or maybe a wonder, i dont know. But i'll check when the next time another collegue renames or moves my project folder.

so long...

Thanks.

Dear Adobe,

we just need a dialog box in which we can change the folder for our link-files. And then i wouldnt care if you save it with an absolute path.

Just let us relocate the folder.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you put all of the links in a CC Library and shared that library with your coworkers, it would solve your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That i tried but it said it couldnt find the linked psd, svg, png, etc ... But somehow PS CC seems to change the absolute path on its own once i changed one element, saved, and reopended it and in all others psds too.

But thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If my coworkers have a different Adobe CC account, will they be able to access the shared CC library of mine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If my coworkers have a different Adobe CC account, will they be able to access the shared CC library of mine?

Did you invite them to the Library? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following topic explores methods to update changed file paths:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/is-there-an-option-that-shows-me-a-list-wit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines