• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you move the default Library location?

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now it defaults to my pictures folder and I would rather have the lightroom library saved on an external hardrive...is this possible...

I tried moving the library but every time I open up the program it puts the library back in the pictures folder on my mac...

Any way around this....thanks in advance.

Barbara

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

barbarareiner  wrote

But, when trying to set up LIGHTROOM CC - it seems that the LIGHTROOM library file automatically is placed within the pictures folder of my mac hard drive. I would like the LIGHTROOM library file to be stored on an external hard drive. I tried copying the LIGHTROOM Library file to the external hard drive location and deleting the one on my hard drive...but as soon as I opening the LRCC program it puts  the LIGHTROOM Library file back in my pictures folder.

Is there a workaroun

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Lightroom Classic CC, the only "default" location would be the location for the catalog because the catalog is the only file that Lightroom opens. That catalog can be placed anywhere you want it to be. The "default" location that Lightroom creates is in a Lightroom folder within the Pictures folder. However, when you import images into Lightroom you are free to direct Lightroom to import those images to any folder, on any hard drive, that is connected to your computer. So what are you referring to when you say that Lightroom is going to the default Pictures folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi: thanks so much for responding quickly...I realize that I asked the question incorrectly so please bear with me as I reformulate the ?

I understand that I can put my LIGHTROOM CLASSIC catalog folder anywhere I desire.

But, when trying to set up LIGHTROOM CC - it seems that the LIGHTROOM library file automatically is placed within the pictures folder of my mac hard drive. I would like the LIGHTROOM library file to be stored on an external hard drive. I tried copying the LIGHTROOM Library file to the external hard drive location and deleting the one on my hard drive...but as soon as I opening the LRCC program it puts  the LIGHTROOM Library file back in my pictures folder.

Is there a workaround and if so please advise. Thanks again for your prompt response.

Regards,

Barbara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're talking about Lightroom CC, someone else will have to help you. I dabble with it a little bit, but I haven't taken it seriously yet and probably won't. Lightroom Classic CC is where I do most of my work. It seems that many users are not differentiating between this forum (which is for the new Lightroom CC) and another forum which is designated for Lightroom Classic CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim:

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Happy New Year...

Barbara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

barbarareiner  wrote

Is there a workaround and if so please advise. Thanks again for your prompt response.

Regards,

Barbara

At this time, no you can't have the LRCC Library.lrlibrary file anywhere else. However, there are tools for managing the impact on your hard drive space, see the LRCC Preferences>Local Storage tab. There's a certain amount of space it must have (on my Mac it's currently 13GB, but that will vary depending on the number of images you have synced), beyond that there is additional space that could be used, but you can totally control that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this is correct...thanks so much...for clarification

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines