• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

best way to optimize large files to send over the internet?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I used to use Save for Web when I wanted to send something over the internet.

Only I had to make the file smaller to fit.

Now I see there is an Export -- Save For Web (Legacy) that I can use but I'm wondering if that's the best way to go or not.

What is the best way to send larger files over the web to be used in print advertising?

**I found when I have sent them without optimizing them they lose quality.

Thank you,

Deborah

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "send over the internet", are you referring to sending via email? If so, please note that most email servers have limits on file sizes that can be sent, and it'll be hard to get a large file with high quality to work reliably with email.

The legacy Save For Web is fine - or you can use Export As... - just don't resize the file down, and use the highest quality. If it's a JPEG, go with 100%, and don't resize the image.

Thing is - it'll likely be too big to email - you may want to get a cloud location. Adobe offers space in it's creative cloud offering, from which you can share a file, using a link (Share Adobe Creative Cloud files, libraries, and more), or you may want to get a space on Dropbox, or MS OneDrive, or even Box.com. There're lots of secure cloud sharing sites, that also offer various amounts of storage. Then send the link, and people can download files that are quite large.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the same Save For Web - it's just called "legacy" now because the all-new Export module is intended to replace it in time.

But note that this is still intended for screen. It's not the way to prepare print files. Just Save As to whatever format and specification is required.

I occasionally send jpegs for print if the quality isn't critical. But if it is, you want an uncompressed, non-destructive format like TIFF. I use wetransfer (google it), which allows up to 2GB per transfer - more if you're willing to pay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've usually been asked for unflattened PDF using High Quality print.  I love how you can open such a file in Acrobat, and zoom way way in and any text or other vector content remains sharp.

deborahf44422648  Please accept my apologies for borrowing your thread.

D Fosse​ I almost PM's you a few days ago when this news article showed on our TV news.

Medieval manuscript dating back to the War of the Roses examined for hidden secrets in Christchurch ...

I know you do archival photography of fine art type content, and I was wondering if you also used photography, or other techniques, to look beneath the surface?  I'd have been scared to death to handle something that old and fragile.

Medieval manuscript dating back to the War of the Roses examined for hidden secrets in Christchurch ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I know you do archival photography of fine art type content, and I was wondering if you also used photography, or other techniques, to look beneath the surface?

I do infrared, which penetrates deeper than visible light. I use a customized camera for that, with the IR-UV filter pack removed from the sensor. Unfiltered, a sensor goes pretty far into IR (which would distort colors in normal light). You need to filter out visible light, so you don't see anything in the viewfinder.

I also do UV, but not as much. UV bounces right off the surface with hardly any penetration at all. It can be useful to bring out surface structure, though.

A third variety is UV fluorescence. Illuminate with UV only ("black light"), which causes many materials to emit visible light. I call this the Forensic Disco. You've all seen it in nightclubs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is for  print, I never save or export for web.   I SaveAs PDF with a high quality print preset and then I  put it on Google Drive or Dropbox and share a link with my intended recipient.

If the file is really large, I'll ZIP the PDF to save some space during transport.

If it's a web image, I use Export > Export As >  with a lower quality setting.

DPI/PPI of my images?

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy - that's a good idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

though I'm not sure if they'll want rgb or cmyk colors.... think i need to ask them....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

deborahf44422648  wrote

though I'm not sure if they'll want rgb or cmyk colors.... think i need to ask them....

If this is going to offset print, you should always know what CMYK profile will ultimately be used. You need to ask.

If it's a publication that someone else makes in InDesign, always send RGB. Adobe RGB is more or less the industry standard. Conversion to final CMYK is done when you export a press-ready PDF from InDesign. But if you know what profile, you can soft proof to it to get a preview of the final result, and make adjustments if needed.

And if it's a press-ready file, you must have the profile. There's no "generic" CMYK, it has to be the profile that corresponds to the actual press/paper/ink used. CMYK to CMYK conversions can't be done later, you'll lose 100K overprint (black plate only) and turn it into 4 color black.

Always ask the printer! That's standard procedure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back on topic - TIFF or PDF depends on circumstances. If it's a photo to go into a publication, someone downstream will place it into an InDesign file. Use TIFF (or jpeg) for that.

If you're sending a press-ready or print-ready file, or one that contains text/vector elements, use PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines