Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to remove plugin from "Filters" menu

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Operating system: MacOS High Sierra 10.13.1 (latest stable version)

Latest version of Photoshop CC

I installed two plug-ins by Alien Skin: Exposure X2 and Snap Art 4. After deciding I didn't want them, I uninstalled them but the Photoshop menu options have not been removed. I want to remove these options from my Photoshop interface.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Photoshop, restarting my computer, and I've had no luck. I contacted the developer and they haven't responded to me.

Photoshop Error - Album on Imgur

I've linked an Imgur album which shows how it looks on my computer as well as the error that is presented when I try to launch the Snap Art 4 option. When I select Exposure 2, there is no apparent reaction that occurs.

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

2.5 hours on the phone with Adobe support resulted in determining the location of the plugins, which was atypical for such an installation.

The file path on my MacOS: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/Alien Skin/

This entire situation was made frustrating because various searches in Finder and Spotlight did NOT turn up any search results for "Alien Skin", "Snap Art 4", or "Exposure X2". This is despite those exact phrases being in the containing folder.

I will say that I'm clearly not a c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, Jeff.

Here is a more detailed and complete list of different things I've tried to remedy this.

1. Check global Adobe CC plugins path/Follow entire Alien Skin recommended uninstall workflow (Hard Drive/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CC)

https://support.alienskin.com/hc/en-us/articles/200144215-Uninstall-Applications-and-Plug-ins-from-M...

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/plug-ins-photoshop-troubleshooting.html

***Did not resolve issue, this path does not exist Hard Drive/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CC. The "old" Photoshop plug-in path did not exist or was deleted at the time I checked due to uninstall of Photoshop CC.

2. Start Photoshop while holding down Shift key to skip loading optional and third-party plug-ins to determine if the plug-in no longer appears.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/plug-ins-photoshop-troubleshooting.html

***Did not resolve issue, was able to select this option at application startup but the menu item still appears.

3. Use Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2273134

***Did not resolve issue. I used the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool to remove Photoshop and upon re-install, the menu option remained.

4. Delete Photoshop Settings File (Command + Option + Shift (Mac OSX)

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1685452

***Did not resolve issue, was able to select this option but the menu item still appears.

5. Try installing and un-installing older versions of Alien Skin products

https://support.alienskin.com/hc/en-us/articles/200145075-Older-Installers

***Did not resolve issue, only created a separate set of installation files which I was able to remove. The installers did not seem to come with an uninstaller for Mac.

6. Manual reset of Photoshop preferences by deleting PluginCache.psp and Adobe Photoshop Prefs.psp both in Macintosh HD/Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CSx Settings/

https://support.alienskin.com/hc/en-us/articles/200144325-Resetting-Photoshop-preferences

***Did not resolve issue, was able to locate and delete both files via Finder, but issue was not resolved upon application restart.

Feeling a bit hopeless here. Clearly, there is a file somewhere which is causing Photoshop to load these menu items. I'd really appreciate any help to get this resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! You really deserve a gold medal for all the things you've tried! (I mean that as a compliment!)

This may sound simplistic, but when you said that you were able to locate the files via the Finder--does that mean you physically opened the plug ins folder and pulled them out of the folder? Did you trash them and throw away the trash and then restart your computer and then restart Photoshop?

If the answer is yes, then I don't have a better answer for you. But I just want to encourage you to not give up hope. There are a lot of good people on the forums to help.

Hang in there,

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Michelle.

Yes, when I found any of the potentially offending files I selected them in Finder and deleted them. I've since then cleared my Trash and have restarted my Mac.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response! I was pretty sure, but I had to ask. We'll keep working on it until something breaks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2.5 hours on the phone with Adobe support resulted in determining the location of the plugins, which was atypical for such an installation.

The file path on my MacOS: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/Alien Skin/

This entire situation was made frustrating because various searches in Finder and Spotlight did NOT turn up any search results for "Alien Skin", "Snap Art 4", or "Exposure X2". This is despite those exact phrases being in the containing folder.

I will say that I'm clearly not a computer expert, but I did learn that going to "/Library/" in Finder's "Go to folder" menu option will result in showing you MORE folders and files than you'd be able to see just by accessing Library a different way. This "/Adobe/Plug-Ins/" folder was not visible at all when I accessed Library by using the "Alt/Option" method.

I hope this helps someone in the future who may struggle with removing plug-ins from Photoshop.

I would also like to add that I'm disappointed I had to escalate my call to a supervisor to get the issue figured out. The supervisor also tried to blame the plug-in for "staying" in Photoshop. My entire point was that Photoshop MUST know where the plug-in is being pulled from and therefore Adobe should be able to determine where that location is so the offending fie could be removed. I'm glad that it was eventually able to happen. When calling, expect what you deserve and not an ounce less.

Thanks for the help I received.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, got the same problem with blow up but on a PC, I have removed all trace of the plugin from photoshop and my pc but still shows up in the filter menu even when i press shift on load. How stupid is that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally got rid of it by finding scripts associated with the program and deleting them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem with a Brushbox extension on Mac CS6.

The program crashes on opening, but after deleting everything I could find in Spotlight the extension still shows up in Photoshop and still crashes when I try to open it.

QUESTION: How do I find the scripts associated with this troublesome Brushbox Photoshop extension?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, after following this thread and another different Adobe thread I FINALLY, found the location of the missing file that was causing the invisible extension to crash photoshop!!!!

It was located here in a folder with the brushbox name associated with it...

Adobe/CS6 service manager/extensions

This was after searching and then giving up about 15 times and writing to the brushbox developer about 10 times and then they finally gave up and just sent my money back and told me 'you're on your own jack'.  So it's been a real PITA but now it's fixed!!!

Okay, after following this thread and another different Adobe thread I FINALLY, found the location of the missing file that was causing the invisible extension to crash photoshop!!!!

I can't tell if it was holding down the alt key while searching that revealed the folder - but maybe it was. In any event, I had the software programmer try to find the hidden location for weeks - and they couldn't find it - so in fact it could be found, even though nowhere on Spotlight did it ever show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines