Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make background invisible after cutting out image

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I downloaded a 3D book cover and successfully placed the image of my book on the 3D book cover template.

The problem is, the book image now is against a white background.

I wanted to remove the white background, so I use the Magnetic Lasso tool to get the marching ants around the book.

This is probably wrong, but I then chose "Inverse", but to my surprise, at least then I had marching ants not only around the book, but also around the outer perimeter of the white box that I'm trying to remove.

I then chose "Clear" and I got the transparent checkerboard where the white box used to be and I thought I was good, but when I export the .jpg, the white box is back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

A jpg can't save transparency. If you need a transparent background, save as  png.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you have your [non-inverted] selection, click on the Add Mask icon at the bottom of the Layers panel:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A jpg can't save transparency. If you need a transparent background, save as  png.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You beat me to it Melissa

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the colour and tonal value of the cover, you might be able to simply use a blend mode.  I have added a small stroke so you can see the outline of the picture, which has a white background.

If I align the image and set its blend mode to Multiply, the white becomes transparent

Blend If is another way, but I am not a fan of it as you too often end up with edge artefacts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The key words you posted were  "........when I export the .jpg, ............."

The jpeg file format does not support transparency.  To retain it you will need to use a file format that does - such as export to PNG or save as TIFF or PSD.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone. You've been very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A wee tip when aligning rectangles to 3D faces like a parallelogram with perspective.  It always pays to make the layer you are Free Transforming a Smart Object.  The reason is that if you need to fine tune the alignment, the next time you start the Free Transform process, the box and handles will form a new rectangle perpendicular to the document boundaries.

With a Smart Object, no matter how many times you repeat the Free Transform, the handles will always remain on the original corners. This makes it a lot easier to align the corners and sides to any perspective aids you might have used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines