Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Photoshop CS2, Windows Vista x64 and Nikon NEF (RAW) files D80

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am running an older Windows OS Vista x64  with Photoshop CS2 installed.

I have a Nikon D80 that is listed from Adobe as

Raw image filename extension = NEF

Ver. 3.6 = Minimum Camera Raw plug-in version required

Ver 1.0 = Minimum Lightroom version required

I've installed Adobe DNG Converter 10.1 however upon execution I'm receiving an error message

The procedure entry point K32GetProcessMemoryInfo could not be located in the dynamic link libray KERNEL32.DLL

So do I need to install anther version of a DNG converter? I would like to be able to edit NEF files created by the D80 from Photoshop CS2.

At a later point in time after I upgrade my PC and OS I'll switch to a later version of Photoshop. For now I'm using Photoshop CS2.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Unfortunately, windows Vista can officially only use up to camera raw/dng converter 8.3, so not likely you'll ever get newer dng converters like 10.1 to run on Vista.

Adobe Camera Raw 8.4 or later on Mac OS 10.6, Windows XP, and Vista

However, since the Nikon D80 only requires camera raw 3.6 and photoshop cs2 can use up to camera raw 3.7, you can probably just update photoshop cs2 with the camera raw 3.7 plugin update and then you'll be able to open your Nikon D80 nefs directly.

Adobe - Photoshop : For Windows : Camera Raw 3.7 update

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be surprised if anyone is able to offer much advice when you are running Vista and CS2.   All I can say is make sure you have all the updates for your OS, if you can find them, and wish you the best of luck

Older versions of Photoshop system requirements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I realize these questions will be difficult if not impossible for you and other people to answer who have only used later versions of Adobe and Windows Operating systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, windows Vista can officially only use up to camera raw/dng converter 8.3, so not likely you'll ever get newer dng converters like 10.1 to run on Vista.

Adobe Camera Raw 8.4 or later on Mac OS 10.6, Windows XP, and Vista

However, since the Nikon D80 only requires camera raw 3.6 and photoshop cs2 can use up to camera raw 3.7, you can probably just update photoshop cs2 with the camera raw 3.7 plugin update and then you'll be able to open your Nikon D80 nefs directly.

Adobe - Photoshop : For Windows : Camera Raw 3.7 update

First go to photoshop cs2 Help>About Plugins>Camera Raw and make sure you don't already have 3.7 before doing the above 3.7 camera raw update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well your advice worked. I apologize for may lack of knowledge of Photoshop and  photo editing software.

Even though I was into SLR 35mm film photography back in the 70's using a Nikon F2 and Leica M I have near zero experience with digital photography and photo editing software  such as Photoshop and similar.

Years ago there was only a dark room and there were no PCs. I use to look forward to working in a dark room as it was once an integral part of photography.

I really I haven't any need to edit photos until recently purchasing my first Nikon DSLR, sort of weird isn't it as I've been operating, building or repairing  computers nearly every day since 1981, back when we use  to access the Intranet using a 150 baud modem through a VAX mainframe.

I think I may have tried to install 3.7 camera raw update, but it didn't get copied  to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS2\File Formats

Once copied to the correct path CS2 now opens .NEF files created by the Nikon DSLR.

Yes I need to upgrade and have upgraded over the years dozen of times. I have two PCs and two rugged laptops all of which  need to be upgraded. If I were to actually upgrade them with NEW products, using the manufactures upgrade paths cost would be around ~$8,000.00.

I need to find something less expensive to replace the Vista PC such as a used PC with Window 10, for around $500.00 or so.

I haven't added it all up but over the years  I've already spent a heck of  alot of time and money on PCs and PC related hardware and software. That really doesn't pay me back as I've never actually made any $$$ from PCs at all. However I personally know people who have made billions, some of who I use to compute with. Which sort of strange as I never thought of PCs since the early days as equipment to make money off of.

From CS2  I'm able to now open the NEF file but I'm not certain if CS2 is able to actually edit a nef file?. I think perhaps once it's saved to another file format? I'll need to look into it further.

I really need to upgrade both my PC and the photo editing software, but first would like to use CS2 for a while to become more familiar with photo editing, it's something I'm new to and haven't had a need to edit photos in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andonsos3047340  wrote

Thanks for your reply. I realize these questions will be difficult if not impossible for you and other people to answer who have only used later versions of Adobe and Windows Operating systems.

That's not the issue here.  FWIIW myself and a lot of the other forum regulars go back to the first versions of Photoshop, and have used computers since before they invented Windows.  The problem is that your old operating system, and possibly hardware, might not support the software you want to run on it.  And if it does, it will be be problematic because Windows Vista was so flaky.

I wish you the best of luck, and suggest if it at all possible, you try and get a more up to date system.  It does not need to be brand new, but it needs to be 64 bit at the very least, and run Windows 7 or later. 

Let us know how you get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines