Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

S.O.S Problem with 3D layer order

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

After effects started to display 3d layers according to the layer order in the composition instead of z axis in space. For instance, the object that's farthest away from the camera is displayed in front of everything because it is in the top most layer.

I have created a scene of an atom, with a credit card in the center, representing atomic nucleus and icons flying around it as electrons do. The problem is, that icons and a credit card overlap according to the layer order, instead of their actual position in 3d space. Everything looks messed up.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or I'm missing something. I tried to switch between different renderers but It doesn't work. I have another less complex composition in the same project that doesn't contain this issue. Is there a setting somewhere that determines rendering order of 3d layers? !

Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

My guess is layer styles are applied

from the help files:

Use 3D layers in After Effects

Just like 2D layers, other types of layers also prevent 3D layers on either side from intersecting or casting shadows on one another:

• An adjustment layer
  • A 3D layer with a layer style applied
  • A 3D precomposition layer to which an effect, closed mask (with mask mode other than None), or track matte has been applied
  • A 3D precomposition layer without collapsed transformations

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is layer styles are applied

from the help files:

Use 3D layers in After Effects

Just like 2D layers, other types of layers also prevent 3D layers on either side from intersecting or casting shadows on one another:

• An adjustment layer
  • A 3D layer with a layer style applied
  • A 3D precomposition layer to which an effect, closed mask (with mask mode other than None), or track matte has been applied
  • A 3D precomposition layer without collapsed transformations

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot! I've deteled layer styles and adjustment layers and 3D order seems to be restored. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines