• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom is incapable of opening raw files? [Unable to open Nikon D3400 Raw files in LR CC 2015.5.1]

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

i'm struggling with this, I cant seem to open up any of my raw files when attempting to import them,

I am using adobe Lightroom cc 2015

I keep getting a dialog box up which is telling me the file cannot be opened by lightroom

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 18.44.57.png

I've tried a different SD card and its all the same.

I've tried importing a file onto my computer first and them opening it and still nothing.

Has anyone ever encountered anything similar to this ? Any help would be very much appreciated, i've got photos to edit  and can't extract any of them !!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

As stated above you need a version of LR that won't run on the version of OS X that is installed on your Mac.

The highest version of LR you can run on OS X 10.10.5 is LR 2015.6.1 and you need at least LR 2015.7.

So you have 2 options.

1) Use the Free Adobe DNG converter program to convert the NEF files into DNG files and then they will import into LR.

2) Upgrade OS X to the new version, High Sierra 10.13.2. But if you do that you might have some older software that might not run on the newer version

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What EXACT version of Lightroom?

What model of Nikon took the image?

How would the images downloaded?

Did you use Nikon Transfer to download?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe CC 2015.5.1

Build 1073442

A Nikon D3400 took the images. (It's brand new)

I don't understand what you mean by how they would be downloaded, but they're on an SD card and I am attempting to open them directly from the SD into lightroom

I synced my phone up to the nikon Snapbridge app which sends the photos directly to my phone but because I don't have great storage on my iphone I disabled this feature whilst taking my snaps, and did notice that the pictures in lightroom that didn't get sent to my phone don't seem to show a preview on the import page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using? Windows or Mac OS X. If OS X what is the exact version number, 10.?.?.

How are you getting the images from the memory card to your computer?

Are you using a Card reader or are you connecting the camera directly to the computer with a cable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive been using this version of lightroom for about a year now and everything has been fine until I took pictures with my new nikon d3400, I have the full adobe package with photoshop and everything else included.

operating System - Apple Macbook OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5

camera - Nikon D3400

Lightroom version: CC 2015.5.1 [ 1073342 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.10 [5]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok the reason you can't update to the newest version of LR is because you are running an older version of OS X. But you can update LR to 2015.6.1. You can do that from the link below.

Download Photoshop Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated above you need a version of LR that won't run on the version of OS X that is installed on your Mac.

The highest version of LR you can run on OS X 10.10.5 is LR 2015.6.1 and you need at least LR 2015.7.

So you have 2 options.

1) Use the Free Adobe DNG converter program to convert the NEF files into DNG files and then they will import into LR.

2) Upgrade OS X to the new version, High Sierra 10.13.2. But if you do that you might have some older software that might not run on the newer version of OS X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok this is all starting to make sense now,

I don't really have any particular software that would be affected by an operating system upgrade so I may give that a shot.

Once i've done that i'll upgrade my version of lightroom.

I'll report back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE, PLEASE Do a Complete system backup before you do the OS X upgrade.

Apple and OS X and Mac's aren't perfect. Anything can happen when upgrading the operating system.

Without a current backup if the upgrade fails or gets stuck you will lose all your files, work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

duly noted and thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem - unable to open raw files.  I'm using a new Nikon D850. 

Lightroom version: 6.4 [ 1060496 ]

License: Perpetual

Operating system: Windows 10

Version: 10.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 850 requires Lr 6.13.

You can download a copy from Download Photoshop Lightroom

Click on 'Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6' to open a list of available downloads

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are correct!  I had to re-download Lightroom 6.0 and then add the patch upgrade 6.14.  I'm good to go now.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need Lightroom CC2015.7 or higher to open files from the D3400 and you are using CC2015.5.1. Update Lightroom (the last free update version for your license is CC2015.14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you are using a Mac. Please state the version of OS X that is running on your Mac.

Also it seems you have chosen the Add option in the Import dialog window of LR. If you are connecting the camera directly to the computer you can't use that option even though it might be available, Selectable, in the import dialog.

You need to use the Copy option to Copy the image files from the card to a folder on your Mac's hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a subscription to the Photographers plan then you should be running LR Classic CC V7.1 and not LR 2015.

What operating system is installed on your computer?

What camera are you using, Make and Model number?

In LR please go to the Help menu and select System Info and post the first 4-5 lines from that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines