• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 Flattens Layers in PDFs (MacOS High Sierra)

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else having an issue with maintaining layers when saving as a PDF on MacOS High Sierra? In the save dialog box, I have "Layers" checked and then in the PDF settings I have "Preserve Photoshop Editing Capabilities" checked. When I try reopening the file though, all of the layers have been flattened. 1.jpg

2.jpg

In over 10 years I've never encountered this issue until now so I'm blaming it on High Sierra, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced it, or discovered a workaround. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm ashamed to say that gotcha got me on _two_ occasions back before CC, and lost me several hours work in total. I think Adobe have changed the behaviour since, or my workflow is better, because it has not happened since, and I save a lot of print ready PDFs.  I think the problem lies in the Save dialog and not the PDF option window, but it is a long time ago, and I don't have CS6 installed to test it.

We see maybe half a dozen posts a year from people who lose work after a crash part way through saving work, which buggers the file, so with large projects with hours of work, we save to incremental file names every half hour or so.  You only need two file names if you are tight on space, But I have more than once been glad to be able to refer way back in the construction of a project.  You can always delete most of the versions when done, although I almost never consider a project done completely, as there is always something else we see when looking with fresh eyes weeks later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see my original post, as I do have "Layers" selected in the save dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right in that it's got to be an issue with the save dialog though. Here's another twist. When trying to save a file as a different file type (like .jpg), even though I select .jpg as the file type, the original extension of the file remains the same (see screenshot) and it is actually saved with the current extension. So in the case of the screenshot, I saved it as a .jpg, but the file is saved as a .psd, so Photoshop won't even recognize it to open it again unless I manually change the extension to .jpg.screen.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I missed that you'd got Layers checked.  Like I said, I am not a Mac user, and I was primarily trying to bump your thread which was in danger of slipping down page two unanswered.  Please feel free to bump it again if it gets to page 3 unanswered, but try and think of any additional information or clues that might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This latter issue is because the file has properties not supported in the jpeg format specification.

So PS saves out a jpeg copy, but the original - still open! - has to be saved out as psd or tiff because those are the only possible ways to save the file as is. If you just dismiss the original file at that point, it's either lost or reverts to the previous saved state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi!

Is it possible that you have chosen some options in the Compression or Output panels that are affecting the layers? Are you saving to the same preset as you have in the past?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines