Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move tool problem in Photoshop CC 2018

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TIM截图20180111133323.png

While I was working in this kind of situation, layer '1' was hidden, 'move tool' with the auto-select checked,

Ctrl+left click to the stuff on layer '2', it should be jump to the layer '2'.

But my PS will just jump to the layer 'base'.

Could anyone tell me how to fix this problem? This problem was not existed while layer '1' visible.

I tried reset the move tool and I don't have the same problem in CS6.

Thanks alot!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Can you also show the contents of the window in a screenshot? It's hard to tell from just your layer's panel if there is anything on layer 2. If there is content on layer 2, then you need to click on the content (pixels) in the window to select that layer. We need to see more so we can help you better!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you also show the contents of the window in a screenshot? It's hard to tell from just your layer's panel if there is anything on layer 2. If there is content on layer 2, then you need to click on the content (pixels) in the window to select that layer. We need to see more so we can help you better!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TIM截图20180111143310.png

Thanks for your replying! I knew I need to click right on the pixel. I work with this function for years.

I tried the same action in my elder PS versions with the same document (including CS6 and CC2017), and I didn't have this issue.

Since it's really annoying, I switched back to 2017 now.

But I really want to solve this problem, thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a solution. How on earth did this make it through QA? the move tool no longer moves what you select in the layer view, it automatically changes your selection to be the pixel under your cursor. It's impossible to move the contents of a folder for instance using the cursor.. Is there some new key modifier someone must hold?

This feels like someone was trying to be smart, please fix this ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you're saying we can no longer drag and drop images, layers, text, etc.?? I noticed it yesterday and have been trying to find a solution. This is very frustrating!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing this is still broken in 2019

Photoshop Creative Cloud Move Tool Broken - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With most tools selected, holding down the Ctrl key auto selects and moves the layer under the cursor, and I don't have Auto Select ticked, so if you want to move any layer i think you should not use CTRL, but you can select the layer directly from layers panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying.

I hold down Ctrl beacuse I was using Bursh Tool. I am an illustrator and I need to brush up in different layers and swith between them rapidly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again!

It is possible that this problem is happening because you have the layers linked together in a clipping mask? Try unlinking them, but put them in a folder to keep them together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again!

No, I created this file with these layers only for this question and my other working files have the same problem (But this happends in CC2018 only).

I don't know this is a bug or I ticked something in preferences.

And I tried put them in a folder, same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it ok if unlock the hidden to select it then when you finish what you want you can hide it again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying.

It's okay if I do so. But....that would be a little inconvenience for me... I used to do the same in elder versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes--I do it all the time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TIM截图20180111143310.png

Thanks for your replying! I knew I need to click right on the pixel. I work with this function for years.

I tried the same action in my elder PS versions with the same document (including CS6 and CC2017), and I didn't have this issue.

Since it's really annoying, I switched back to 2017 now.

But I really want to solve this problem, thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm that what you have described is actual behavior in Photoshop CC 2018. Photoshop CC 2017 and earlier versions will work as you expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I also confirmed this with my friends, CC2018 will have this problem but 2017 and earlier versions will not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue and never had this problem in 2017 or earlier versions.  It is extremely frustrating!  Please look into this and fix as soon as possible as I use this feature all day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold CTRL while moving the layer, that seems to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Auto-Select" checked in the Move tool's option bar? If so, uncheck it."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines