Exit

Font issues in one document only

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Hope someone can help me!

I am having issues with my fonts in one document only. It says my Arial font is missing despite the fact that it is a system font and is not turned on or off etc.

I use the 'find font' window to replace the font but no matter what font it is replaced with it will not recognize it. It just adds the [square brackets] around any of my fonts (that I know are installed correctly on computer) and says they aren't found.

I checked to see if it was a font issue but it seems to be a document issue.

I can copy the text box with "missing font" in it and past it into a another document with the same font and there is no issue in that document at all, works fine!

I have attached some screenshots

Any help would be great

Thanks guys

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Anytime there is an issue in one document open, you should consider it could be caused by corruption. To test, save the file as an IDML file (File > Save > InDesign CS4 or later [IDML]). Then reopen and test again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be that you have used a font with the same name, but not the same font. Change to a font you have on your computer.

Do you really want to work with Arial? … I don't let my commends disturb you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have the one Arial font and if I change the font to another font entirely it still does the same thing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click More Info button and you can view the font's version number. The Arial listed below the missing Arial probably has a different version number.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 10.09.02 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Arial and ArialMT, those are the only ones I have, there are not different versions or anything like that. it also doesn't show the info.

Untitled-1.jpg

The SAME font is used in two documents. Both setup at the same time, same spec, same location etc. but one doc can see the font but one can't, illustrated below.

untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could we see the Find Font panel in the document where it's working OK?

Is 'ArialMT' available in your menu to replace the seemingly missing 'Arial'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anytime there is an issue in one document open, you should consider it could be caused by corruption. To test, save the file as an IDML file (File > Save > InDesign CS4 or later [IDML]). Then reopen and test again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's worked Steve! thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having exactly the same issue. Font came in a packaged folder. I loaded into my Font Book. Shows they are there, yet when I open the document it shows they are missing. Typekit won't sync it either. They show in the font library. Font is Andada SC Bold and Bold Italic. Help..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me, too!

I have to make a brochure with a CI font (PT Sans) I have been using for many years! It is installed properly on the Mac (OS X Sierra, CS6). I even deleted all fonts of this family, rebooted, installed again. As soon as I open my document it says the font could not be found.

The text is shown in the proper font and I can even choose the font from the InDesign Font Menu ...

I followed the advice to save as IDL  - same problem. Hope you can find a solution for me cause the brochure has to be printed 

tomorrow  

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-11 um 11.14.32.pngBildschirmfoto 2018-01-11 um 11.12.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is unsupported under Sierra but if this is the only issue you're having you can workaround it by copying the font to the InDesign/Fonts folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob, this was exactly what I was looking for!

Weird that it starts occurring suddenly though I have been working with CS6 under Sierra for a long time without issues.

(I am not a professional Designer, I only use it from time to time, I spent all the money on CS6 but CC is just too expensive cause I won't use it regularly)

Could you tell me the path to that folder please? Thanks so much!

Regards from Germany

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave you the path. There should be a fonts folder under the InDesign application folder.

BTW, if you want to continue to use CS6 I would avoid High Sierra at all cost. That seems to be the final straw for Creative Suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid it did not work. But preflight seems to show PT Sans Regular Sans and PT Sans (TT) Regular  and with PT Sans Regular it reports issues with symbols like

bullet points and " ...

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-11 um 13.50.13.pngBildschirmfoto 2018-01-11 um 13.50.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you missing a font or just some glyphs? It's possible the font itself does not have the glyphs available. If that's the case find a different font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just edited my answer above - I am missing the font AND the glyphs.

I will now download it again as a ZIP File, unpack and then try to install again? Or is this not a good idea. Thanks so much for your quick assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No issues reported in the MacOS font collection

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-11 um 14.08.47.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just repaired the volume to check the rights in OS - but repairing was not necessary, everything fine.

What I discovered is that PT Sans OT seems to be there but not TT - but if I try to replace the missing font by the OT I only get the choice PT Sans and cannot choose OT in particular  

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-11 um 14.15.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing two versions of the same font is never a good idea. Delete the TT version completely and put the OT version in the fonts folder.

But again, you're in unsupported territory with CS6 and Sierra. Anything is possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear - all I have is the TT Version - no idea where the OT came from - cannot even locate it on my Mac.

Online I only found the TT Version ...

Just talked to the online Store ... unfortunately no Upgrades for CS6 users at the moment ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded the Demo Version of InDesign CC - same Error but I was able to fix it. I did exactly the same as in CS6 - replace PT Sans by PT Sans - and it worked. So it seems be a CS6 issue that repairing/replacing does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could an operating system incompatibility, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear - all I have is the TT Version - no idea where the OT came from - cannot even locate it on my Mac.

Your screen capture is not showing the otf version as missing so you should be able to select it and click Reveal In Finder:

Screen Shot 5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - it actually leads to the folder in the font collection where the TT fonts are in - no trace of otc.

I am afraid Bob is right ... incompatibility - but it is surprising that it had worked so long without any bugs on Sierra and suddenly, the minute I need to have a print version ready by today, this error occurs ...

Anyway, what I learned - this forum is great - never expected people to be so helpful and so fast!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines