Exit

PDF Problems

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Need your wisdom here.

My friend recently asked me to help her out editing a manicure map for her, she had drawn it all up and just wanted me to add some finishing touches to it, she scanned this to me, I am fairly used to opening PDF files in Photoshop, but was a bit confused when it opened the file but a lot of the areas of text and imagery, seemed to be blocked out, as if someone had painted a big square of white over the top left and majority of the bottom of the page, since I have tried to open numerous PDF files and still come up against the issue.

Any thoughts?  Is it the PDF, Photoshop, or possible the security measure of the PC I am using.

Thank you all in advance

Charlotte

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does the PDF look in Acrobat or Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks Perfectly normal in Reader. It almost looks like a security issue, I ve just tried opening an invoice and it has clocked out the content and part of the logo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide the pdf?

If not please at east provide screenshots of the converted pdf in Photoshop and of the pdf in Acrobat.

Does it contain spot colors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue might be an overprinting issue.

Can you provide the pdf?

I am fairly used to opening PDF files in Photoshop

In general that is not advisable, pdfs should be edited in an appropriate application to avoid unnecessarily rasterising vector and type content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manicure-Pedicure-2.jpg

This is what i see when it opens in PS

eg 1.jpg

This is it in Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally they are just to crop and straighten out after a scan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of scan and why did they scan as pdf and not a pixel image format?

What kind of processing does the scanning software perform for pdfs (does it use OCR to create type elements for example)?

Can you provide the pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea why they sent it that way, and the second question sorry I have no idea.

Where abouts can I upload the pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently this Forum does not allow uploading pdf so you would have to use some file transfer service.

But you could also open the pdf in Illustrator and check the Layers and Links Panels to see if the pdf consists of multiple images and text elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll give it a bash, thank you all for your help.

Charlotte

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect these may have been added as comments in Acrobat, different from the rest. Not editable in Photoshop If so. And editing a non-scanned PDF in Photoshop is a disaster anyway, just don’t. If you want to collaborate on a design you need to both use the same app 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines