• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How I can find the seamless pattern tile size?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, guys!

Here is my problem. I created the pattern through the default photoshop script (Cross weaves).

So I have the canvas filled with this pattern, but how can I find the size of the pattern tile? Couse I want to save it for photostocks, but in the Preset Manager I can see only the size of initial element, from which the pattern was made.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Hi

If a pattern is tiling on your image you can find it fairly easily by duplicating the layer - setting the blend mode of the top layer to difference then dragging the top layer across and down until it turns completely black. At that point it is repeating

Then drag across a couple of guides and read the tile size from the ruler (see example below)

However , the script does not have to tile across the layer. Each small sub pattern in the example you gave can be in any of 2 rotations in a block of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but It's not working (
As I said in Preset Manager I can see only size of initial little element, but not the final pattern tile.

So here is my pattern and what I can see in Preset Manager.

2018-01-11 10-26-49 Item-0.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would that not have to be (short side + long side) by (short side + long side)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, doest work either.
I also have tried several different options: for example long side*2 (3, 4, 5 etc.) by short side*2 (3, 4, 5 etc.). Also didn't work (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you may want to start giving some relevant information:

Did you change the Scale from 1?

Did you set some Spacing?

What are the Pattern’s exact dimensions (as indicated by hovering over the Pattern like JJMack showed)?

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% of the result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sure!

Here is 100% result (my canvas size was 3000Ñ…3000 px) and the dimentions of the initial element:

2018-01-11 15-32-10 Item-0.png

Here is the pattern script settings:

2018-01-11 15-28-05 Item-0.png

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1280px x 1280px?

Could you please post a screenshot of the resulting pattern taken at View > 100%?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do not forget youy can file any selection with a patters it need not be a rectangle area. The pattern will be trimmed to the area. A rectangle pattern tile can not fit the area perfectly.  Tiles will be trimmed.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have tried several different options: for example long side*2 (3, 4, 5 etc.) by short side*2 (3, 4, 5 etc.).

As the weave combines short and long side in both directions those approaches would probably only work if the long side was a integer-multiple of the short side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If a pattern is tiling on your image you can find it fairly easily by duplicating the layer - setting the blend mode of the top layer to difference then dragging the top layer across and down until it turns completely black. At that point it is repeating

Then drag across a couple of guides and read the tile size from the ruler (see example below)

However , the script does not have to tile across the layer. Each small sub pattern in the example you gave can be in any of 2 rotations in a block of 4. So if your layer only has room for a block of 2x2 as below then there are 2x2x2x2 = 16 different ways of arranging those sub tiles.

If you have room for 16 across x 16 down then that can be arranged in 2^256 =1.15 x10^77 (i.e. approx. 1 with 77 zeros after it). So that pattern may well not repeat i.e. be tiled on your layer.
The numbers get even bigger use the random brightness and color options.

Of course if you need to make a tile for use elsewhere you can do so by cutting the pattern where it is a close fit. Using Filter > Other >Offset to move the layer 50% down and 50% to the right, which moves the edges to the centre, then repairing any edges that do not match with the clone tool.

I hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had not noticed the flipping …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thanks so much!

I would never figure that out by myself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I guess everything ok now,  many thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

c.pfaffenbichler  wrote

I had not noticed the flipping …

I must admit I had assumed it would be simply tiling groups of 4 or 16 or whatever - but when I tried the difference method and couldn't get it to go black, I looked closely and realised it was better than that

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines