Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 2018 Insert / Overlay slow & lagging

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm noticing that the keyboard commands, Insert & Overlay from the source monitor is very slow, almost useless. I've tested various different codecs and for the most part this makes little difference. However, using my mouse, dragging from the source monitor, there is no lag, the selected clip portion will drop into the timeline instantaneously.

The test I'm running is on a fresh install of Premiere 2018, in a new project.

PC

i9 7900X 3.31GHz

128 GB RAM

GTX 1080 Ti

SSD for all scratch disks

32TB Thunderbolt 3 Promise RAID for media storage (1500mb read and write speeds)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed the exact same thing. It actually does seem a little faster for me (2-3 seconds) when insert or overwriting when I have proxy attached. As opposed to the 10-15 when I do not have proxy attached.

And, same as you, dragging in has zero delay. I've filed a bug report and at this point, I feel like Adobe must be aware of the issue, so I'd urge anyone that has the problem to file one as well as more info can only help expedite a solution.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

4 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks briand68581562

I'll do the same. How does one file a bug report if there is no crash?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience, you don't have to wait all that long for a crash 😉

But, the best thing to do is go here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form and fill it out and cross your fingers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BrianD,

I have noticed the exact same thing. It actually does seem a little faster for me (2-3 seconds) when insert or overwriting when I have proxy attached. As opposed to the 10-15 when I do not have proxy attached.

Does this occur with new projects too? What kind of footage are you working with? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, thanks for looking into it! Interestingly, I just tried with a new project and everything seems speedy. Granted, I only tried with a handful of clips in the project, so when I have time I'll experiment with creating a larger project from scratch.

I did try importing my old project into a new one, and experienced the same kind of delays  with intert/overwrite that I have before.

Another thing I've noticed is that generally, if I do an insert or overwrite straight from a bin, it'll be speedy, but it's when I do it from the source monitor that I typically experience the lag.

I've been using lots of different types: ProRes 422, ProRes Proxy, MXF straight out of the camera, MP4s, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

This isn't a hardware, proxy files, workflow issue. I have a 2 year old Mac Pro (black trash can) with 64GB RAM, 12-Core, fastest processor, dual top of the line graphics cards etc. etc. etc. Premiere Pro 2018 can't even play a :15 spot (with no effects or filters on the footage) with out lagging, dropping frames, freezing up for 2-4 seconds. This spot is composed of simple hard cuts... no dissolves or transitions. CC 2017 had no problem last week when I created the rough. We've rolled all 4 machines back to PP CC 2017 over the weekend. Two editors switched back to Final Cut last week to get a couple spots to stations on time.

Our agency is following suit via requests of a couple other film houses we use. "....Please do not send us or convert PPCC2017 files to PPCC 2018 files. We find it is highly unstable and we've shelved the app until/if this is remedied by Adobe. Projects created in PPCC 2017 and Final Cut X work fine...."

This is absolutely unbelievable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fred,

Seems our best  chance at getting the ear of Adobe on this issue is via submitting a report here.

Wishform - Adobe Premiere Pro

Unfortunately, we can assume that by the time they get all the bugs figured out with Premiere 2018, and we are all happy with it's performance, that is when they'll send out 2019 and it too will be buggy. =(

I'm very tempted to abandon ship.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would really love to sit down some day with the really cool dude with long hair that promotes Premiere on their YouTube channels, you know the guy I'm talking about, he looks like hes from some sifi gladiator film, he points out all the COOL NEW FEATURES, and everything just works flawlessly on his video, ya that guy, sit him down and point out everything that's broken in the program..record that and put it on YouTube.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enter Jason Levine. Wonder how he's honestly fairing with the new 2018 release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Us too - I reverted back to 2017 yesterday after appalling lags in performance that almost caused us to miss a major deadline, and we're now thinking of rolling our software back to AVID (moved everything over to PP last year) despite the expense. It seems as if this is a regular occurrence and the brick wall of Adobe's customer care/refusal to comment on upgrades and fixes is wearing thin.

I work with a local university and I know the faculty have advised their film students *not* to rely on Premiere Pro but to use more professional applications, which is a telling indictment.

I don't know how these guys could get it so wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello FrederickH,

Sorry for the troubles.

This isn't a hardware, proxy files, workflow issue. I have a 2 year old Mac Pro (black trash can) with 64GB RAM, 12-Core, fastest processor, dual top of the line graphics cards etc. etc. etc. Premiere Pro 2018 can't even play a :15 spot (with no effects or filters on the footage) with out lagging, dropping frames, freezing up for 2-4 seconds.

I have a much less powerful MacBook Pro and do not have this issue.

CC 2017 had no problem last week when I created the rough. We've rolled all 4 machines back to PP CC 2017 over the weekend.

Projects begun in any major software version should be completed in that version. This is a long standing editor's rule of thumb.

Please do not send us or convert PPCC2017 files to PPCC 2018 files. We find it is highly unstable and we've shelved the app until/if this is remedied by Adobe. Projects created in PPCC 2017 and Final Cut X work fine...."

This is absolutely unbelievable.

Actually, that is a very good policy—one I whole heartedly believe in as an editor. Please only begin new projects in CC 2018. If you absolutely must convert a project from CC 2017 to CC 2018, do so by importing the project into a new project. Do not update it. I have done this with a large, complex project without major issues. It did take some time to relink and reconform files, but that was expected.

Hope we can assist you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problems. My iMac is only 1 year old, fully geared for the very purpose of editing. Can't work anymore !

The program won't even quit properly and leaves the entire system glitchy after quit-forcing it.

Unbelievable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problems, Mac (trash can) Pro, using pretty much any sort of media (ProRes in project right now). Also get lots of lag when I try to enter keyboard shortcuts to switch tools - most notably the slip or text tool. So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi redprod,

Can you try some of the things I mentioned here? Re: Premiere 2018 Insert / Overlay slow & lagging

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also seeing this problem in Pr CC 2018 (was fine in Pr CC 2017). Lag when using keyboard command for insert and overwrite from source monitor - 2 to 10 seconds delay. Drag and drop is instant.

Pr 2018 latest version

nMP 8 core D700 32GB RAM

Mac OS 10.12.5

Pegasus2 raid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!!

...don't use 2018 until they've addressed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CHCHK,

Sorry for the frustration. Please see my response here: Re: Premiere 2018 Insert / Overlay slow & lagging

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello in the bush,

The test I'm running is on a fresh install of Premiere 2018, in a new project.

Most people having this kind of trouble are with updated projects. As you may know, unexpected behavior can crop up with such projects.

However, yours is a new project. Some people having issues like this are working with RED footage or with clips that are very long in duration. Can you describe the media you are working with in detail?

Which OS are you working with? I don't think you mentioned that.

I would really love to sit down some day with the really cool dude with long hair that promotes Premiere

Well, I don't have the long hair, but I am not having these issues with my own projects both on Mac and PC. I would love to help you get the same kind of performance and smooth workflow I am having. I'm sure there is some issue we can find that is tripping you up.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

As you say, this issue is popping up on updated projects and not on new projects (mostly FS7 4K .mxf). I'm tired of keeping 5 or so versions of Premiere on my system (because of issues like this) - we all need to open old projects at some point, it's the nature of our jobs. It would be nice if Premiere could do this reliably. In fact I would say that is THE most important thing a new version should be able to do.

Will try a Media cache clean - that seems to be to root of a lot of Premiere's issues... When it's lagging I can see the lights on my raid ticking over furiously...

Cheers,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent 2 days with the Adobe tech logged on my computer to finally find out that the problem with 2018 is that the preset only allows 6 Go of RAM to other softwares to run.He changed it to 20 in the preferences and then BOOM! I could resume my editing and rush for my deadlines to be met.

Preferences

Memory

Ram reserved for the application => change way up !

I houppe this will help others too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin Monahan - Thanks for your reply..

Most people having this kind of trouble are with updated projects. As you may know, unexpected behavior can crop up with such projects.

> I'm in a new 2018 project, with a fresh install of 2018. I completely cleaned my computer of all cache files etc. prior to this install.

However, yours is a new project. Some people having issues like this are working with RED footage or with clips that are very long in duration. Can you describe the media you are working with in detail?

> I'm working with and have tested almost every format I have ranging from 8K RED down to 720Prores files. The insert overlay keyboard delay is always present and only changes by a second or two depending on the media. I'm also noticng this delay when I do cut and paste commands, even in my project bins. (The problem is not isolated to the timeline.) I should mention, these delays are not present in PP2017. I've changed my reserved from from the default 6gb to 20gb..not sure what else to do.

Which OS are you working with? I don't think you mentioned that.

>PC Windows 10 Pro

i9 7900X 3.31GHz

128 GB RAM

GTX 1080 Ti

SSD for all scratch disks

32TB Thunderbolt 3 Promise RAID for media storage (1500mb read and write speeds)

Well, I don't have the long hair, but I am not having these issues with my own projects both on Mac and PC. I would love to help you get the same kind of performance and smooth workflow I am having. I'm sure there is some issue we can find that is tripping you up.

> haha..well, that's ok if you don't have long hair, I still appreciate your help! 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem.  It only does this when using keyboard shortcuts.  Dragging to the timeline or program monitor doesn't make it lag. I have been dragging to the program monitor as a workaround for the moment. 

Tried deleting preferences, media cache files, restarting, creating a new project and transferring files in. Doesn't help.  Problem seems to be worse the more files are imported into the project.  With only a few files in the project, things are snappier. 

Working with Red Dragon 4800x2700 RAW files.

Mac Pro 2013 3.5Ghx 6-core 64Go RAM  El Capitan 10.11.6   PP CC 2018 Build 224

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As some may have noticed, the release notes for the latest build (12.0.1 Build 69) claim to have solved this.

As far as I can tell this is only partly true. If you are editing media clips from the source window into the timeline, the lag has indeed disappeared, at least for all the media I've used since updating.

If however you load sequences into the source monitor, and edit these into your timeline (both using keyboard and source window buttons, and regardless of the selection "as nests or individual clips") the lag is very much persistent, if not even longer than before (not sitting here with a stop watch, but sure feels long...) And yes, as before, no lag when dragging.

This was not the case in the 2017 versions and is indeed very troublesome.

Filing new bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what a Joke, Choppy Video with Raw Light, adobe Premiere Pro .

its not ever trying to use the GPU.

Im running a new 8k PC

Wim 10 64

intel i9-7960X  16Cores/  32-Treads  and OC at 4.3GHz

x299

Nivdia Titan V -- 640 Tensor Cores and 110 TeraFLOPS

and  adobe is trying to charge a monthly fee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines