• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best Imposition Software for Offeset Printing Process

New Here ,
May 29, 2016 May 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I work for a printing company, primarily focused on label production, and also general flat paper based commercial printing.

We use Adobe CC applications for our pre-press production software, and are looking at assessing the best imposition solutions for going from artwork to plates for process jobs or pdfs for digital jobs.

The main purpose for this would be to streamline operator task efficiency, ease-of-use, limitation reduction, etc. to get the most out of our time on the job.

What imposition solutions have you guys had good experience with in a print production context?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

We use Agfa Apogee. It is a complete prepress system.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2016 May 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any open source / free software for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 30, 2016 May 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For PDF print publishing workflows, page imposition is best performed at the RIP itself. Virtually every modern PDF workflow system, RIP, and DFE (for digital printers) has support for imposition. Ideally, that is where it should be done!

Only when printing PDF files to non-PDF direct devices should one even consider imposition in Acrobat itself. There are a number of products that provide such imposition services within Acrobat as plug-ins. The recommendations of Eugene Tyson should be taken seriously.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that this is over a year since you posted this, but I'm curious why you say "page imposition is best performed at the RIP itself.".  I can think of a number of reasons, cost being the big one, why imposing prior to ripping is better.  I have heard a number of people say this, but so far no-one has given me an answer that conclusively prooves this theory.  Exactly why, do you feel this way?

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you meant to say "Shouldn't be take seriously"

Sorry I forgot to mention the Fiery RIP which we use also has booklet features, but it can't do everything required for imposition.

Of course, my favourite imposition software is Preps, http://www.kodak.com/ek/us/en/prinergy-workflow/platform/preps-imposition-software/default.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use Agfa Apogee. It is a complete prepress system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which rip are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite Imposing for sure! It is a life saver and can do anything within seconds!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our Imposition Wizard​ works right from Acrobat, which you may find convenient if you use CC. It also has a more realistic price tag compared to some software mentioned here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years ago I worked with AGFA Apogee just as they developed their own imposition software that no longer relied on Preps templates. I found AGFA's proprietary imposition software was great for bookwork but not so good for smaller n-up stuff, but luckily I could still use the Preps template based impositions for n-up work, cut and stack stuff, etc. Nevertheless it would be my first pick.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF Snake.

We've been using it for YEARS and it works right out of the Acrobat Menu.

PDF Snake : The Complete Imposing Solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be a bit biased, but I'd suggest you check out tilia Phoenix from Tilia Labs. Phoenix is the industry's best solution, leveraging artificial intelligence and costing information to automatically generate the best layouts. From estimating to planning to marks to full automation, Phoenix can do it all. 

We're in the middle of a series of webinars that are demonstrating the benefits of Phoenix for different printing market segments, as it can do it all! Check out our videos here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEYwSiECXSFPwfhn4xwOolA

If you have any questions you can message me or reach me directly at david@tilialabs.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A few years late on an answer but we run a medium size web to print company and we use https://filesplice.com/ It's very easy to use. There is basically no learning curve and we can create new layouts instantly when we bring new products to online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines