Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2018 Hijacks Mac File Associations

Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since upgrading to PS CC 2018, I have noticed the app hijacks file associations on my Mac (OS High Sierra 10.13.2); specifically PDFs and image files, both of which used to open with Preview.

I have tried manually resetting the associations to Preview using "Get Info" and resetting the file(s) in question, as well as applying "Change All" at the same time. This works fine until I launch Photoshop, which then re-hijacks the associations.

I chatted with support about this; the explanation I got was that the PS preferences were corrupted, so to solve the problem I would have to delete them and set up PS to my liking all over again. I was annoyed to have to resort to that, but I tried it and it worked, but only for a short time, after which the issue returned.

This behaviour is either a bug, or a 'feature' that crosses the line by being too invasive.

This needs to be fixed ASAP as it's messing with my workflow and productivity.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect this is not a Photoshop bug  but that the OS may be at fault but if you want to file a bug report the official site for that is

Photoshop Family Customer Community

As for restoring Photoshop Preferences: The need for that can arise occasionally and resetting them according to one’s likes can be (at least in part) automated.

Also it serves as a good reminder to regularly save one’s customised presets like Actions, Brushes, …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goes to show that people have different perspectives. I really have problems seeing this as "invasive".

I have always considered it given that Photoshop takes over the file associations for all image file types. Why wouldn't it? I have never given that a second's thought - until now. I mean, if I install a simple thing like VLC player to watch videos, I kind of expect it to automatically open all video formats automatically.

Changing the relevant associations to something else is very quickly and easily done. If that's what you want.

PDF is a bit odd, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, come to think of it, there are about 200 threads here where people see it as a serious problem when Photoshop does not take over file associations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called it 'invasive' because no app should automatically take over native OS associations without specific permission.

It is up to the end user to decide which app should open which file type, and change it as needed.

It is not up to software to summarily decide what is best for the end user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in any case - if Photoshop behaved the way you want, I can promise you there would be a tsunami of complaints the other way. I might join in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see no reason for it to hijack PDFs. As for image files, if I change the associations, the app should be coded to respect my choice. Sure, it can offer me the option to switch back if I choose; any well-written app should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines