• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inverted/upside-down eps thumbnails on mac os high sierra

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All was working fine until I updated my os to High Sierra.

Now I see inverted/ upside down thumbnail image for all my .eps files. Please see attachment/image below. I am running Illustrator cc 2018!

Can someone help me urgently please, as I can't find any solution to this on internet/ forums.

inverted_eps_issue_high-sierra_os.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Yippieeee!!! Finally found a solution that works and fixed everything!

Solution Steps:

1. Open Finder

2. Press "Cmd + Shift + G" on keyboard or from Menu Bar-->Go-->Go to Folder

3. Type: /Library/QuickLook/ (Proceed to Step 5)

4. If you cant find "Quicklook" in step 3 then type "~/Library/QuickLook/" and proceed to step 5.

5. "EPSQLPlugIn.qlgenerator" Delete this file/ move to desktop if you want

6. Restart Mac and Voila!! Results attached in the image below:

This is Mac OS extension for finder's quickl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator has nothing to do with Mac OS previews.

Basically EPS is a prehistoric file format with support for it vanishing. Apple has always been quick in discontinuing support for stuff that is older than a month. Surprising that they still support EPS, actually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that issue universal? Anyone else also facing this? Is there any workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ummm yeah - this is happening for me too. Very annoying. If I find a solution I will post here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate! Hope that time comes out soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey garvit2424I got this back from an apple forum where I posted a similar question.

EPS & AI thumbnails inverted? |Official Apple Support Communities

I upgraded to 10.13.2 and it's still doing it. Haven't tried the EtreCheck solution yet. I've been flat out working and haven't had time to stuff around.

As an aside, I think all the arguing back and forth in this thread about whether EPS is still a valid file format is completely useless to those of us who are here looking for help with this problem. Designers have to work with a wide array of file types and EPS is still one of the most common formats we come across. We have to bring a lot of threads together when weaving a project.

You're all very knowledgeable, and it's great that you're taking the time to contributing to forums though : )

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 7.17.09 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just to note that i'm not seeing it on 10.13.1. what options are you using on save? screenshot those too perhaps?

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 20.51.12.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug - it's not so much how we are saving them. I'm talking about being able to preview EPS & AI files normally on my mac for over 3 years. This change to inverted thumbnails only happened when I upgraded to High Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sure, but since i'm not seeing that on my machine, i'd like to see if there's something in your saving options that i'm doing differently that could cause it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not just impacting EPS files - but also native "ai" Adobe Illustrator files.  And your statement about EPS being a prehistoric format is incorrect. EPS is the most common transfer format for ALL vector artists who transfer their work to manufacturers for packaging, prototyping of solid models, wide format printing and virtually every other printing or CNC machining process -- in short all serious vector artists who work beyond a screen.  My guess is you're thinking about SVG as a replacement for EPS. It's not. SVG is vector for screen-based and web designers only.   EPS is critical and will remain so. It's why Adobe Illustrator keeps EPS under the more prominent "SAVE AS" menu and keeps SVG in "Export for Screens" menu.   

This appears to be under review at Apple according to Dev communities I participate in. This forum is largely for users so it regrettably ends up collecting frustrations related to OS issues rather than solutions.  I suggest people go to Apple to monitor this issue.  It's an OS issue, not an Adobe one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dpspearhead  wrote

My guess is you're thinking about SVG as a replacement for EPS.

Absolutely not. It's PDF that has superseded Postscript.

EPS is a legacy format that lingers due to inertia, not practicality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPS and PDF may share DNA but they have important differences, and EPS won't be vanishing anytime soon.

"Encapsulated PostScript" is raw PS code plus a preview thumbnail, so it has never been through a RIP and can be read by any hardware with PostScript support (printers going back to the 90s, and those of us who used them). It's a program giving instructions on how to draw things, not a collection of objects. The code is much easier for software to edit, because the file describes how to assemble the page in a similar way to how the software would do it natively ("draw a rectangle here, fill it with green".. etc). Yes there are limitations (e.g. missing fonts) but the code is designed to be editable. You can write PostScript by hand with a little practice.

In contrast PDF contains processed PostScript (it has been compiled into objects that are no longer human-readable) and a whole bunch of other stuff wrapped around it as required by the ISO standard. It is absolutely not intended for editing, and although Illustrator can import PDF files, you normally get a heap of pointless clipping masks and problems with broken text etc. because the creative structure of the page has been lost. PDF is all about guaranteeing something looks the same when printed. Whether the page structure is retained or not is very much a secondary consideration. It will chop up sentences, shapes and bitmaps to achieve its aim, which is why Illustrator has to cheat when saving to PDF with the "Preserve editing capabilities" option checked - by embedding the entire AI file as a hidden attachment. When you re-open one of those 'PDF' files, Illustrator completely ignores the PDF data and opens the attachment instead. Even Adobe, creators of PDF, know they can't edit it reliably.

In terms of sharing vector graphics, a trivial PDF file (e.g. a rectangle on one page) is many times larger than the EPS version (if created properly, AI doesn't unless you play some tricks), so if you're working with thousands of icons it can make a big difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The capabilities of Illustrator have grown far beyond the limitations of Postscript, and those limitations won't ever be removed. So what happens when you use those capabilities in an a Illustrator EPS file that you want to continue editing in Illustrator, and how does it differ, practically, from what happens when PDF and AI data are bundled in an Illustrator PDF or PDF-compatible AI file?

I still see some handy uses of hand-written PS, but I don't think the human-readable aspect of EPS is what keeps it from vanishing altogether. Nor is file size - I usually find the EPS version of simple vector logo is larger than its AI/PDF equivalent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what happens when you use those capabilities in an a Illustrator EPS file that you want to continue editing in Illustrator, and how does it differ, practically, from what happens when PDF and AI data are bundled in an Illustrator PDF or PDF-compatible AI file?

One constant point of frustration with the 'Illustrator PDF' cheat is that if someone edits the PDF file outside of Illustrator (e.g. in Acrobat Pro) then re-opens it, AI will ignore all those changes and just open the hidden attachment. Given Acrobat is forever moving into the 'use this to edit your documents' realm, and doesn't warn the user that there's a secret master copy inside the file structure, it's bound to cause problems.

Nor is file size - I usually find the EPS version of simple vector logo is larger than its AI/PDF equivalent.

That's because by default Illustrator embeds a bunch of junk into EPS files (such as all your swatches and patterns, whether they are used or not). If you prepare the files correctly the difference is significant. For my 'trivial rectangle' example the (non-editable) PDF is around 110kb, the AI file around 90kb, and the EPS only 11kb. Since it's essentially a text file the EPS compresses to around 2800 bytes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Dave+Merchant  schrieb

So what happens when you use those capabilities in an a Illustrator EPS file that you want to continue editing in Illustrator, and how does it differ, practically, from what happens when PDF and AI data are bundled in an Illustrator PDF or PDF-compatible AI file?

One constant point of frustration with the 'Illustrator PDF' cheat is that if someone edits the PDF file outside of Illustrator (e.g. in Acrobat Pro) then re-opens it, AI will ignore all those changes and just open the hidden attachment.

The exact same will happen when you open an EPS outside of Illustrator and then reopen in Illustrator. Unless you save it as EPS 3 of course, because then it won't contain any private data. But then of course everything will be flattened and that makes no sense either.

In packaging the prepress folks most likely will edit your PDF in ArtPro. And that's a completely different thing. This PDF won't ever be opened in Illustrator again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely agree about the risks of externally editing Illustrator PDFs, and Acrobat's propagating the false notion of PDF as a kinda-sorta editable format. But as Monika suggest, EPS is just as susceptible.

Regarding file size, though, which do you think represents the overwhelming majority of EPS files out there, the cleanly coded rectangle, or the junk-laden one written by Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dpspearhead  schrieb

EPS is the most common transfer format for ALL vector artists who transfer their work to manufacturers for packaging, prototyping of solid models, wide format printing and virtually every other printing or CNC machining process -- in short all serious vector artists who work beyond a screen. 

No. For packaging and large format people use PDF, native files or several raster formats. For CNC machining EPS might still be widely used among those who use vector graphics editors for the design (but they are in the minority compared to those who design for CNC in serious CAD apps).

So people who work for screen design are not serious vector artists? LOL.

dpspearhead  schrieb

My guess is you're thinking about SVG as a replacement for EPS. It's not. SVG is vector for screen-based and web designers only.  

You don't follow the SVG community, do you? Publishers experiment with SVG for cross-media publishing. And that means print as well. Just for your information.

And your guess about me is wrong.

dpspearhead  schrieb

EPS is critical and will remain so. It's why Adobe Illustrator keeps EPS under the more prominent "SAVE AS" menu and keeps SVG in "Export for Screens" menu.   

You should read the "Save as" menu until the end. Because there's SVG. Illustrator has it there, because the "Save as" menu contains the native file formats. We can discuss if SVG belongs there, but then we need to discuss if EPS belongs there as well.

You might want to read about file formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got updated to High Sierra 10.13.3, and was hoping that this update would solve the issues. But the wait extends!

Did anyone find a workaround yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here. I talked with Apple team and Adobe team for a long time. Nobody knows what is happening. All my .eps and .ai files are upside down. It's so anoying! I create and download these type of files at Shutterstock. I hope some solution appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when you create and save those files yourself, they are correct?

Because if that is the case it would be about time to ask Shutterstock what they're doing. They might be doing something with unusual with their files either inside or on their servers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure they are correct. When I open them, everything is fine. I never had this problem before and I work with it a lot of years. Appears only after I upgrade to High Sierra. It's obviously a Finder problem or with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put the same file in my Macbook pro, with old Sierra and everything is fine...and don't matter the file is from a image bank or my own, everything is upside down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danielehonorato  schrieb

only after I upgrade to High Sierra.

Then obviously the problem is in the Finder, don't you think so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OR an issue within Illustrator, obviously. And not with my files, like you mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danielehonorato  schrieb

OR an issue within Illustrator, obviously. And not with my files, like you mentioned.

When you download a file from Shutterstock and get the wrong icon immediately, then the issue can't be within Illustrator when it hasn't even touched the file. But since it took Apple 2 years to admit that they slow down old Phones, then it might make no sense to even ask them about this issue.

My guessing at Shutterstock was because it wasn't clear at all if only Shutterstock files have been conerned. EPS is a file format that not only Illustrator writes, but that can even be written by some server based routines.

It looks like High Sierra has a hang for turning things upside down.

signature upside down in preview |Official Apple Support Communities

526091 – Display design upside down with MacosX High Sierra

High Sierra and Excel 15.39 - fonts upside down - Microsoft Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines