Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

get message to recover a library that was closed previously

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC14 on a PC

Closed a library after job was completed. When launching CC14 get the message asking to postpone its recovery and the three Click choices Yes, No, or Cancel. In order to continue working have to click Cancel (otherwise message will not go away), but get message every time launch CC14.

I had this problem last year and the fix was to use Menu (Window > Workspace > Reset [workspace name]) or delete from C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version 10.0\en_US\Workspaces\filename_CurrentWorkspace.xml.

This is not working this time. What am I missing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the folder C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#].0\en_US\Caches\InDesign Recovery and try deleting the recovery files present in the folder.

InDesign checks the InDesign Recovery folder for information on documents that were open when it shut down, and then attempts to open these documents and incorporate any mini-saved data into them.If it will not find anything , it won't ask for any such popups.

NOTE: Only delete the recovery file in case you don't need them in future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure just what you mean in your NOTE, delete them in case I don't need them? Do you mean Don't delete them in case I need them?

There are many many files named DBSharingShi#########, some named DBTmp#######, ProtectiveShutdownLog, and RecoveryData.

Which am I supposed to delete?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The path C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#].0\en_US\Caches\InDesign Recovery  has the following kind of files:

1. dbt file: that stores mini saved data used in document recovery

2. RecoveryData: the list of all InDesign open documents when the Application crashed

3. protective shutdown logs

4. Settings file

The message you see on launching InDesign CC2014, specifically is to "postpone the recovery" which appears when InDesign cannot find the document while recovering, since it was either deleted or moved from its location. The three options you see in the alert box, control if you will see this alert again or not.(from InDesign manual)

• Yes The next time you start InDesign, it will try to recover this document again. Choose this to continue the recovery of the remaining documents but leave the document listed in the alert on the list of documents in the RecoveryData file.
  • No  InDesign won't try to recover this file again.Choose this to continue the recovery of any remaining documents but remove the document listed in the alert from the list of documents in the RecoveryData file(please see 2nd file type listed above).
  • Cancel The next time you start InDesign, it will try to recover all documents to stop the recovery process for all documents. again.

I believe clicking on the "No" option until you stop seeing the alert box, should be an easy way to resolve your problem.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for identifying the 4 kinds of files in the Recovery folder.

I wasn't completely clear in my initial post because clicking Yes or No yields no results. I could click each 50 times and the message box just stays there. I have to click Cancel to be able to use the program, and because Cancel is selected, the next time I launch InDesign the message box appears again (vicious cycle).

Now, I have tried deleting the InDesign SavedData and Reset in Reset in Windows/Workspace in different orders, rebooted, and finally I can launch CC14 and not receive the message. I just don't which order actually worked.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hummbled  wrote

Now, I have tried deleting the InDesign SavedData and Reset in Reset in Windows/Workspace in different orders, rebooted, and finally I can launch CC14 and not receive the message. I just don't which order actually worked.

Thanks

Glad to hear that your problem was solved.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been experiencing the same problem for weeks. After reading your message, I couldn't find the file path mentioned above, but I tried Window/Reset Workspace (in InDesign) and the dastardly dialog—where Yes and No were unresponsive—disappeared! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines