Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Import display

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm still face an issue and I've spent somes hours on forums for nothing ...

I have a problem to import photos. The first thumbnails are good but others are grey (without any message on it). What I observed is LR displayed thumbnails corresponding to my visible screen. When I scroll down, others thumbnails are grey.

I updated Windows 10 and latest drivers for my GTX 980 ... I also deactivate graphic processor in LR ... reset preference ... change my screen profil (old Hyaundai from 2008 but still good for me ... still have issue in HDMI or DVI ...)

Any others idea to help me ? Do you also have this issue ?

Regards

Aurélien

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Yes, something is seriously wrong with this image.

The pixel dimensions are 2600 x 3900 (aspect ratio 2:3), but it is not displaying at that ratio.

In the screenshot it is displaying 596 pixels wide, and should display 894 pixels in height. (596:2 x 3 = 894)

But it displays 777 pixels in height, so something is wrong.

I was able to open the image in ACDSee, and do a Save as.

The new image has the missing pixels added as black, and can be imported in Lightroom.

I guess something went wrong when the sca

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you set the screen profile to sRGB is it still there?
What type of files are you importing? From where to where?
Is this a new issue??

What version of Lightroom??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I've set SRGB profile.

I copied scanned photos from a CD to a folder on my D: drive (8000 photos). I'm tying to import this folder into LR.

What I've tried :

- I had lot of sub folder ==> I tried to paste all photos on one unique folder ==> still have problem

- photos are set on "read only" ==> still have problem

- I tried with just 10 photos (on a new folder) ==> sitll have problem

- I compare photos that LR displayed on import menu with photo not displayed ==> no major difference ==> sitll have problem

- Create a new catalog and import this folder ==> still have the problem

This is a new issue.

LR version is up to date : 7.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

exemple of what i'm seeing when I scrolled down in LR (import menu)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen in the past that Lightroom can have problems with scanned images that have a non-standard scanner manufacturerer's color profile embedded.

Can you open an image that doesn't have a preview in Photoshop, and tell us what the document profile is?

See screenshot below, click the little arrow at the bottom and choose Document profile from the menu.

You could also put the image on Dropbox, so we could take a look at it.

PS-document-profile.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have "RVB sans description (8bpc)". But I'have the same parameter with a correctly displayed photo.

it looks like a display problem with LR. look at the screenshot below. first is with full screen display, second with half display on my screeen. Thumbnails displayed are differents ...

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

The last thumbnail displayed here, is the thumb in last row / fisrt column is the firt printscreen ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you click Import?

Can you then see the problematic images in Library and Develop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import failed. Progress bar keeps empty (I let LR work more than 24 hours ...) ... I canceled import and I can go back to LR library.

So I can't see them in Library & Develop because they are not imported ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you see my screnprints, don't you think that could be linked to a driver problem or something like that ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

auréliend13766949 wrote

i have "RVB sans description (8bpc)

It seems that these files are untagged - i.e. they do not have a color profile.

Try opening one of them in Photoshop, then go to Edit > Assign profile, and choose sRGB.

Save and close the file, then try to import in Lightroom.

If that doesn't work, please put a sample file on Dropbox, so we can examine it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see your files are jpgs, so you can just post it in a reply here, if it's less than 8 MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for your advices. I have identified ONE photo that is the cause of my problem. I can open it in Windows preview or Paint but not with Photoshop ...

I remove this photo of my folder to import in LR and ... tadam ! no issue with LR (one photo VS 8k other photo !)

Here the photo, what's wrong with it  ?

ARCHINGEAY43.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, something is seriously wrong with this image.

The pixel dimensions are 2600 x 3900 (aspect ratio 2:3), but it is not displaying at that ratio.

In the screenshot it is displaying 596 pixels wide, and should display 894 pixels in height. (596:2 x 3 = 894)

But it displays 777 pixels in height, so something is wrong.

I was able to open the image in ACDSee, and do a Save as.

The new image has the missing pixels added as black, and can be imported in Lightroom.

I guess something went wrong when the scanning software saved the image.

ARCHINGEAY43-edit.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

auréliend13766949  wrote

I have identified ONE photo that is the cause of my problem. I can open it in Windows preview or Paint but not with Photoshop ...

I remove this photo of my folder to import in LR and ... tadam ! no issue with LR (one photo VS 8k other photo

Very strange behavior. Normally LR will not import "incompatible" files and when complete shows a message similar to below.

BTW- How did you manage to locate this one (1) bad file out of 8,000 image files?

I was able to open the file in XnView and use Save As with 90 Quality, which recovered the full 2600x3900 image data. Right-click on the image and select 'Save Image as.' It will import into LR.

2600x3900

ARCHINGEAY43_XnView Save As.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

in my series, I have also around 20 photos with this message, I agree, it's not a problem to import the rest of the serie. But I don't know why THIS photo has blocked the whole import ...

I was lucky to identify this one. In fact, with our discussion, I had a doubt about scanned photos (around half of this 8k photos). As this serie's name begin by A, it was the first I checked. I saw a problem, so I check one by one the photo of this serie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What make and model is the D: drive? If you copy some images from the D: drive to a new folder on your C: drive can you see and import them without any issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

auréliend13766949  wrote

What I've tried :

- I had lot of sub folder ==> I tried to paste all photos on one unique folder ==> still have problem

- photos are set on "read only" ==> still have problem

The folders and/or whole D: drive need to be set for Read and Write privileges. If set to "Read Only" the image will appear dimmed as you are seeing in the Import module.

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-ownership-and-get-full-access-to-files-and-folders-in-windows-1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry in fact I mean : all photos are NOT set as read only and I check that I've the full control on this folder (I"m the administrator user)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines