• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scratch Disk

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought Creative Cloud and downloaded photoshop yesterday, all it did was open and I closed out since I didn't need it, but today it is telling me my scratch disk is full. 1) I don't understand how anything could be full since I've never used it in the 24 hours I've had it and 2) I have read all over the internet on how to fix it, but nothing is working. I tried the shortcut for Macs (command+option) and selecting a new location, but my only other location option than startup is "Macintosh HD," and the does nothing. I tried moving my photoshop files to my external hard drive, and still nothing. I'm going to be pretty mad if I spent money on this program that is not going to work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your scratch disk is a disk where Photoshop needs a lot of free space to hold your history of edits. Many gigabytes. Usually this message means something else filled up your disk, often nothing to do with Photoshop. How much free space do you have on your disk, exactly? If you don't know how to find out, let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know how to find out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

elizabeths57825124  wrote

I do not know how to find out

See here:

how+to+find+out+how+full+a+disk+is

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same question but don't know how to find my scratch disk/see how much space it has, so if you could answer that, that would be great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check inside your Photoshop Preferences  Cmd or Ctrl k

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 3.46.01 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you have an external drive, you can use it as second scratch disc. Go to Preferences/scratch disks and select your external drive.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-13 um 01.14.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My eternal drive isn't showing as an option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your External drive should formatted as HFS+ if you own a Mac, NTFS if Windows, or Photoshop will not recognize it as a scratch disk.

Here's a primer if you are new to this.

Scratch Disks: How do I set one up? What do they do? Should I use one? - Latest Apple Mac Pro News &...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As these screen shots have shown, Photoshop will tell you the free space. But it's useful to know how to find out anyway, because disks filling up is a problem for all apps and files. You also need to know how to check the size of individual files, so you can see which ones are using the space. A disk may hold billions of little text files, but if you start downloading video, even the biggest computer can fill in no time. If you're on a Mac, check out this page: Check the Available Hard Drive Space on a Mac | Macinstruct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines