• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data merge doesn't work with type on path on master page?

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into a bizarre issue while using data merge today, and thought I'd turn to the forum to see if anyone had an idea as to the cause.

The problem

I have a document with all of the static items on the master page and the variable data items on the document page. Since the merged document wouldn't require any further fiddling, I used Data Merge > Export to PDF to generate the final file.

The result: The variable data merged correctly. The static items on the master also merged correctly, with one exception: a title that had been created using the "type on a path" tool. Specifically, this item appeared only on the first page of the merged document, but was absent from all other pages.

Okay, weird. So I run some tests. The result:

• Data Merge > Export to PDF with title text placed on master page -- Title text only appears on first page of merged pdf, absent from all others.
  • Data Merge > Export to PDF with title text placed on document page -- Title text appears on all pages of merged pdf as expected
  • Data Merge > Export to PDF with title text converted to outlines -- Title text appears on all pages of merged pdf as expected
  • Data Merge > Create merged document with title text placed on master page -- Title text appears on all pages of merged document as expected

I thought, "well maybe something's just corrupt with my file. Let me try a new one and see what happens."

So I create a new file with some nonsense type on a path, and a merge field on the document page. The result? Same thing. The text on a path will not merge past the first page if it is placed on a master. The merge field on the document page merges as expected.

It's the darndest thing and I have no idea how to resolve it. Well, I could just tweak my file using any of the working methods I demonstrated above, but if anyone knows how to *actually* fix the problem I'd be much more satisfied. Otherwise, if this is just a weird bug, it'd be good to know so I can report it.

Thanks guys!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

I was able to replicate and confirm this fault using UK English Adobe InDesign 13.0.1 running MacOSX 10.13.2.

I'll report it to the bug report and I'd suggest that the opening poster do so as well: Adobe InDesign: Bugs: Hot (661 ideas) – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to replicate and confirm this fault using UK English Adobe InDesign 13.0.1 running MacOSX 10.13.2.

I'll report it to the bug report and I'd suggest that the opening poster do so as well: Adobe InDesign: Bugs: Hot (661 ideas) – Adobe InDesign Feedback

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin,

where exactly is your bug reported? Wanted to vote, but did not find it.
Your link goes to the "bug overview" and not to a particular bug report or category.

Thanks,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

perhaps try this link:

Type on a path on a master page does not appear on a resulting Data Merge PDF beyond the first recor...

it's been a weekend for data merge bugs too. Found this one on reddit and confirmed it, so posted it too:

Data Merge: Data on a master page AND on a locked layer CRASHES when creating merged document – Adob...

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Your new links are working…
Will check on my side and vote.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here (Windows 10 / ID 2018 / PDF all versions).

Additinally my path text is shifted to the right.

ID_text-on-path-datamerge.png

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fenja,

there is news from the developers by Abhinav Kaushik:

Type on a path on a master page does not appear on a resulting Data Merge PDF beyond the first recor...

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while. We have been able to address the issue and it has been fixed in our beta builds.
In order to try out the fix of the issue you may join InDesign CC Prerelease program @https://www.adobeprerelease.com and download latest beta build 14.×.×.x from download section on the home page of InDesign CC Prerelease portal.

Let us know in the comments if you see any issue with the beta builds.

Thanks,
InDesign Team

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ashleew44226948 ,

the bug is fixed with latest prerelease version of InDesign.

However: Do not convert the document to IDML before testing.

See my comments regarding IDML at:

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome, great to hear! I haven't had occasion to use data merge with type on a path since the initial issue, but I'm glad to know it's been resolved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines