• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is the latest ver of Illustrator worth purchasing?

Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've finally come into a few extra bucks to spend and I've still not purchased a newer version of Illustrator yet...at least not newer than CS6 which I'm using now and am very comfortable with as it is quite stable. I've read folks having problems saving SVG and artboard malfunctions; problems with CPU acceleration and having to disable it, problems with wacom tablets and their drivers not being compatible. I'm on Windows 7 as that OS too is very stable. My question is should I take the leap and gamble with the latest iteration of Illustrator or go with an earlier version. The latest version has that puppet feature that seems real interesting and the ability to adjust individual corners would be a real bargain and time saver to me. What would you suggest; newest or earlier version? Are the earlier versions more stable than the newest?

SYSTEM:

Dell Optiplex 990 quad core CPU 3.1 ghz

16 gigs RAM

AMD Radeon 6670 w 1 gig RAM

Windows 7 pro

Old Wacom Graphire2 tablet

Very little disk free space on primary drive C: 50.5 gigabytes left.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The corner widgets have been very useful. I'm running the newest version of Illustrator on Windows 7 and haven't had a problem with it, although as you mentioned, some people have. I have a fairly powerful machine with 128 GB of RAM. I don't use Wacom.

When you have a few days to 'kick the tires' you could download the 7 day trial version to see if you like it enough to pay a monthly fee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

128 GB of RAM WOW! Even though your system is posting 128 GB of RAM doesn't mean it's using it. If your CPU chipset doesn't have the pathways then it's just wasted power. I found that out by reading the specs on mine. 16 gigs is all my CPU will allow. I'd have to upgrade my chip in order to be able to get any benefit from additional RAM. Same with my video card, This mobo only allowed me to upgrade from 512 to 1 gig RAM. which I did. Aside from maybe a 1 or 2 TB HD upgrade I'm not going to spend anymore money on this box. I'll just get a faster, newer one. Thanks for the suggestion on that trial I think I'll take that advice before purchasing the newest version.

What if I buy another system can I transfer my account to it without any problems with Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say "purchase" - are you aware that Illustrator no longer has any kind of permanent purchase? Only subscriptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can install the software on another computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barbara! You been very helpful in my decision. Yea I know it's a lease program that's was one of the reasons I've procrastinated for so long to place an analogy on it for me; it's like looking longingly at a ripe luscious apple hanging within reach but fearful of picking it that it may damage the tree. I read all you said JET and I'm in agreement that I wish Adobe hadn't chosen the online lease deal but I have to say that if they had not things might not be what they are today and maybe just maybe they may not have survived a leveraged takeover back during the mad merger days so I just accept it as a shrewd business decision on their part. I have thought of going the Astute Graphics way of updating my CS6 but may their prices are really high for the plugins I'd want.

So I've decided to take Barbara's advise and kick the tires on the newest version with the trial offer. If things don't immediately start going south and start giving me problems I can't get a handle on then I'll pop for a full prepaid year. I'll at least have a sense knowing I'm get a program I've enjoyed and am comfortable with since forever It seems and I'm contributing to it's continued success and development. I really like Adobe and it's products I just wish their HQ's was in the USA and not Canada. Thanks everyone for your time and patience with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with your very well written assessment. From Adobe's point of view, it was a shrewd and highly successful business decision. From many customer's point of view it is a difficult decision to pay monthly rent rather than buy. When I save a file that I think I may need in the future, I save as Illustrator CS6 so that I'll be able to open any critical files should I ever drop my subscription.

By the way, I believe that Adobe headquarters is in San Jose, California USA. I see their two tall towers every time I pass by.

I'd be interested in knowing your opinion of CC after you've had a chance to kick the tires.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your right Barbara, Adobe is in California. My bad, I don't know why I thought it was in Canada. Not enough sleep I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Cactus+Cowboy  wrote

So I've decided to take Barbara's advise and kick the tires on the newest version with the trial offer. If things don't immediately start going south and start giving me problems I can't get a handle on then I'll pop for a full prepaid year.

If you are still unsure, you can opt for a monthly plan. It's more expensive than annual, paid monthly, but you can cancel any time within the month and it will stop at the end of the month. (Be sure cancel if this is what you want to do!)

Subscriptions seem to be the way things are going now. I have subscriptions with automatic renewal for:

• Microsoft Office
  • Malwarebytes
  • Quicken

and probably a few more things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, no one can say whether it's "worth it" to you.

It's not worth it to me, because I simply won't rent business-critical software. I'll not have editing access to my own working files effectively held hostage to continued subscription payments. That's why I'm still using the last version of the Master Collection that was available via perpetual license (CS6), why Adobe has not received a red cent from me ever since the take-it-or-leave-it rent-only scheme was inititated, why I have been consciously reducing my dependence upon Adobe software since then, and why my use of it will continue to wither on the vine unless and until Adobe offers something better for the highly skilled freelancers and small shop operators who have invested decades of their professional lives in developing their proficiency. (That's the real expense in using software; far more significant than the license fees.)

Since the mid 80s when all this started, I've had my favorites, but considered it a matter of personal interest and professional responsibility to maintain at least working familiarity with as many of the mainstream graphics softwares as I can. (How can anyone legitimately call a particular software "better" if he has actual experience with  just one?) I'm mighty glad of that policy.

Adobe is not the one constrained by its rent-only licensing model. Just its Cloudy Customers are. If those opting out of Captive Contracts reach a threshold, Adobe could, at any time it deems advantageous, simply release the current version under a "one time deal" to update all those "backward-minded" (disobedient) customers still using CS6, charge an exhorbitant price for it, and there would no doubt still be many takers. All the while, its marketing could take on an air of "nobel benevolence" toward long-time customers and even repeat such updates to perpetual license holders at any years-spanning  intervals it wants.

It's a game I won't play. There are alternatives. So ever since CS6 my software budget has been going entirely toward other brands software.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are happy with what you have I'd suggest sticking with it until your system software is no longer compatible. There are many free AI scripts that offer some of the most talked-about features (such as individual rounded corners).

If you have a legitimate use for the new, whizbang features consider downloading a free trial before purchasing and giving it a good test-drive to see if $49.99 a month, forever, is worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Subscriptions seem to be the way things are going now.

I sense a different trend; one toward reasonable prices for what clearly is not rocket science anymore, and refreshing innovation to boot. Affinity Designer is $50 and Serif has openly promised that it will never be subscription based. Gravit Designer is free, and has one of the most elegant interfaces current. Inkscape, of course, is quite powerful and is not just free, but open source and scriptable via Python.

Canvas and Draw, two of Illustrator's historic competitors are still available via perpetual license, and are acquiring as new customers Illustrator users who are disinclined to rent.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The talents of the programs are being developed from every angle. Auto-saving, data recovery feature is worth to pass even new slides. Corrupted documents recovery feature other hidden treasure.

New tools offer new possibilities. You have a chance to take your skills to the next level with new cars.

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines