• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not sure if this is a UK forum but would like to know what the copyright law is on

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using png images as some of my creations I would like to submit to get published.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images that you own/created are your copyright. If you've adapted someone elses image they may not be.

Adobe is an American company but this forum is international (as is most copyright law, though some countries do not abide by it).

How do you mean submitting your PNG images? PNG is a web image format. Generally it's better to create a high-res image and repurpose it for the requirements of the final output, such as for printing (PSD, TIF or JPG) or web (JPG, PNG or GIF).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all depends on where you want to post images created by you and if you want to sell them or just have some feedback.

if you want to post them for free on social networks you don't need copyraght registered, but only a conscience and the morality of not making things believe untrue.

if you want to sell them on the websites of stock images like Adobe Stock, etc ... you must have taken the photographs which make up the image or have the license of them and have the release of the models portrayed in the image.

If your question is to submit your work here in the forum, here it is not possible.

I hope I was helpful!

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to 'register' a work to have the copyright, just by creating an original work makes it your copyright, though you may be wise to include a copyright line as a reminder. If you're posting copies on the web it might be worth only using low-res copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said above clearly if it's free depends on your common sense if you want to sell it you must have the releases, register and sign the contract of Adobe Stock for example ... you must register the copyright and demonstrate with documentation that you are the owner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't talking about Adobe stock as the OP hadn't mentioned that but, as I understood it, he wanted to know about copyright generally. Of course any photographs of people would (generally speaking, as there are exceptions) would need a model release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your first sentence "using png images" can be read two ways - at least by me .

1. You are creating / have created those png images from scratch (that includes taking photographs) and therefore you own the copyright.

or

2. You are using png images created by someone else in your creations. If that is the case they own the copyright to them and you would need permission / license to include them in your published document. (I mentioned license as the terms of some image resource sites do allow use of images for various purposes which could include publishing).

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, copyright is automatic, registration or copyright symbol is not required. If you made it, it's yours, period.

And it goes both ways, obviously.

Note, however, that it may be possible to create a new independent work based on existing works. This forced its way because of things like rap music sampling and modern "meta-art" which may often reference other artworks. However, this is no carte blanche - it just means you may have a good case in a courtroom, if your lawyers are any good. But you normally don't want it to go that far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this was all spelt out in earlier posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, it wasn't. I read this the way Dave did - the OP possibly wanted to use other people's material.

And also it should be emphasized that copyright does not require any special action from the author - as was implied by previous posters. This can't be repeated often enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines