Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cannot open file in mocha ae (CC2017)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to track in mocha ae using CC2017 for the first time

I imported a 3 minutes mp4 footage into after effects, located the point which i wanted to track and trimmed the footage so it became 5 seconds long.

Then I went to Animation - Track in mocha AE and expected that in mocha's interface i will see the trimmed footage from my after effects, but mocha didn't show anything. Instead, it offered to import the footage from my computer. So i tried to import it (as I said it was mp4 footage) but then mocha said that file is corrupted or unsupported and gave me a link for more details, but that link lead to a page with Error 404 - Page not found...

So what to do ?

Here is the printscreen of mocha interface. Notice that under Import Clip there are 0 to 0 referring to frames. When i worked with CS, mocha showed the frames in relation to my After Effects project's frames (like 304 to 417, or something)

mocha.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

I guess the error message says what the problem is: "The file is in an unsupported format".

I recommend that you try to export the clip as a png or jpg image sequence and try to load this into mocha.

Cheers,

Mathias

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transcode the mp4 footage to a media container & codec that Mocha likes.  I recommend Quicktime movies in JPEG 2000, PNG, Photo JPEG or animation codecs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I transcoded the footage:

transcoded.png

But still, when I go to Animation - Track in mocha AE, I get the same window (mocha is asking me to import footage from my PC - why can't it take the footage directly from my After Effects project?):

mocha.png

And if I try to import the transcoded footage from my PC, I get the same error:

corrupt.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the error message says what the problem is: "The file is in an unsupported format".

I recommend that you try to export the clip as a png or jpg image sequence and try to load this into mocha.

Cheers,

Mathias

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, it works with sequences. it's annoying that mocha doesn't support any footage, even .avi, now i will have to convert my footage into sequence everytime i want to track it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's annoying that mocha doesn't support any footage, even .avi, now i will have to convert my footage into sequence everytime i want to track it

this does not sound right. here are the supported formats: Documentation « Imagineer Systems

if you want to get to the bottom of this, I suggest you try the Mocha Ae forum: Forum: mocha AE « Imagineer Systems the support team responds to every question in my experience. this is not common for Mocha to reject an Mp4 but it can happen. come back with what you find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another options is that you purchase the mocha Pro Ae plugin from Imagineer Systems. Since this is an After Effects plugin, it lets Ae do the video decoding and hence it automatically supports all video formats supported by After Effects.

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bro I need your guidance 

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 9.54.01 PM.jpeg

Sir I have just installed MOCHA pro 5..sir I am facing the problem of tracking selection...I can select but the selection is not moving... can you please help me out... I am sending you video .. Kindly help me out I will be grateful to you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UltraUber, Ran into the same issue when I updated OS onto a new SSD hard drive. The way to make MochaAE work with clips directly from AE is to download and install Quicktime. Yeah I know, I didn't want to either but it needs those codecs.

You can verify this by reading here:

https://www.imagineersystems.com/support/documentation/#Supported_in_Version_4

In the link above it states this: "Mocha supports most standard movie clip and image sequence formats.  In order to use clips (i.e. not image sequences) you must have QuickTime installed. Level of QuickTime support can vary depending on the operating system."

For Windows you can download Quicktime ( 7.7.9 ) here:

https://support.apple.com/downloads/quicktime

I just installed Quicktime from this link ( Windows 10 ) ( yes it's safe ) and it solved the issue immediately after install, no other installs or system tweaks etc.. I did re-boot AE though. Now I can select the clip in AE and open it in Mocha via the Animation > Track in mocha AE and the familiar dialog appears which allows you to continue.

mocha-screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tnx for info 😃 now it works for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked for me as well! thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines