• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select > Color Range grayed out even if the layer max has been merged into layer

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I am trying to select the red from the outline of a piece of text to then erase it, however it simply won't let me because the color range option is grayed out.

I was using a layer mask to make a "fade-out" effect with the gradient tool, I found a Yahoo! Answers thread and the best answer was to go back to regular editing by right clicking on the masked layer, but the mask has already been merged with some layers so it's not there anymore. Even if there are no masks anymore the grayout won't go.

This is really frustrating... if someone knows the answer don't hesitate to help me, I'd be grateful, thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

You could duplicate the image. Convert the duplicate to 8 bit. Use the Color Range command as you normally would. Window > Arrange > 2 up vertical. Choose one of the selection tools, like the Rectangular Marquee tool. In the duplicate image, carefully position the cursor inside the selection. Hold down Shift and drag the selection into the 32 bit image. Release the mouse; then release Shift. The shift key will keep the selection in the same position.

If that doesn't work for you, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can help by providing more information so we can see what you are seeing Screen captures showing Photoshop's pallets image and color Range UI grayed out as well as other information.

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

• The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:
  • Adobe product and version number
  • Operating system and version number
  • The full text of any error message(s)
  • What you were doing when the problem occurred
  • Screenshots of the problem
  • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be no problem to me to send screenshots, but my client is in italian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (71).png

That is the file I have so far.

Screenshot (73).png

KANSAS once was split up in 2 layers, one of which was named KANSAS.ref, I applied a mask to KANSAS.ref to make that fadeout effect in the text reflection.

Then I merged KANSAS and KANSAS.ref together(the final layer inherited the name form the first one of the two I mentioned), so the layer mask was gone, leaving only normal layers.

Screenshot (72).png

My intention is to select the red outline of this (rasterised)text to then erase it.

However, when I try to...

Screenshot (73) - Copia.png

The color range(the highlighted option) is grayed out, I have no idea why, and that's exactly what I am trying to solve.

I hope I was specific enough

I am using a 32 bit color palette if that counts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 32 bit color palette does count. Color range is not available with 32 bits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, that's lame... Thanks for the answer anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could duplicate the image. Convert the duplicate to 8 bit. Use the Color Range command as you normally would. Window > Arrange > 2 up vertical. Choose one of the selection tools, like the Rectangular Marquee tool. In the duplicate image, carefully position the cursor inside the selection. Hold down Shift and drag the selection into the 32 bit image. Release the mouse; then release Shift. The shift key will keep the selection in the same position.

If that doesn't work for you, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to convert an image to 8 bit??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what if "2 up vertical" also is greyed out ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had similar issue - the Selection > Color Range is grayed out. (Situation - some lines in an illustration were highlighted when the screen cap was saved & sent to me and image shows various highlighted object lines as yellow instead of black.) Simply wanted to replace the yellow with black - but that option is grayed out and not available. (Why?)

Also tried to use IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS but that menu item is ALSO grayed out, so could not try using Replace Color either. Then selected the only layer, and trying to recolor the yellow lines using the Color Replacement Tool method also does nothing.  Good grief...

To save time - just erased the yellow lines and recreated them manually using the color I needed to change it to. Often use other programs beside Photoshop for image manipulation & retouching etc. Not used to basic tools not working as expected. Such a simple task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you try to make a selection using color mode with *Edit in Quickmask selected it will grey out *color mode. Make sure that is unchecked to make a selection using color mode. Hope that helps anyone having this sort of issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one solved it for me!!!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you try to make a selection using color mode with *Edit in Quickmask selected it will grey out *color mode. Make sure that is unchecked to make a selection using color mode. Hope that helps anyone having this sort of issue.

THIS is the answer I mean! Solved my issue.

Again, thanks SRP-Brea​!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines