Apr 01, 2008 Apr 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can RH7 use SSH protocol? Thanks a lot!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2008 Apr 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lcjohn.

You will have to excuse my ignorance of SSL Protocol (not to be confused with the SSL in RH) but my understanding of it is that it is browser based and as such has nothing to do with the RH output. As such you can generate output that can be viewed in a variety of browsers (including Netscape).

If you are asking whether you can take the RH (Webhelp) output and use the SSL Protocol to authenticate and encrypt communication between clients and servers, I wouldn't know but I guess the answer is just try with some sample output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum, I think he's referring to this: "Secure Shell or SSH is a network protocol that allows data to be exchanged over a secure channel between two computers."

If that's the case, John, how do you expect to use the SSH protocol? As a repository for source files, I guess there shouldn't be an issue. However, the RH app and all RH projects MUST be on your local machine for RH to work properly (its Access database pukes on a network).

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe he means publishing a project (WebHelp, FlashHelp) from RoboHelp using the SSH protocol, like a secure ftp transfer. I think the long and short of it is, no, RoboHelp doesn't seem to support secure transfers from its default publishing interface. I think you'd have to move the output to your server with a third party tool that supports SSH.

I'd love it if I'm wrong, it would be a good option for folks who serve up webhelp. I've never seen the option for it, but I'll admit that I've never spent much time looking for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I'm sorry for the confusion. I mean SSH (Secure Shell), NOT SSL (Secure Socket Layer). RH is on my machine: I want to publish to a server using SSH. As Lucas says, this allows more secure publishing than simple FTP. I actually need to publish to TWO servers. One server accepts normal FTP transfer (so I can use RH to publish to it), but the other server requires SSH transfer. I'd like to publish to the two servers in sync rather than publish once in RH to one server, and then again to the other server with another tool.

Thanks for the feedback, John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp