Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find Assets Not Migrated to LR CC from Classic

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I made the big leap from Lightroom Classic CC to Lightroom CC. It went pretty well! Only 7 did not make it, of my 48,741 assets.

This is my problem: how do I know/ find the 7 that did not make it?

LR CC told me I had 58 files with metadata conflicts, and it gave me the location and file names for them. Those made it over, so I'm less worried about those.

I need a quick way to find the 7 that were not migrated. I don't want to have to visually cross reference the classic library with the LR CC library to find 7 assets.

Is there a quick way to identify the 7 assets?

Thanks!

MIGRATION SUMMARY

Source Catalog  : /Volumes/BurroToro/Lightroom/Lightroom Catalog-2.lrcat

Assets from Catalog  : 48741

Assets Migrated to Lightroom CC  : 48734

Number of Collections Migrated : Migrate-able( 771 ) After Migration( 773 )

Number of Stacks Migrated  : 1231 of 1231

Number of Stack Assets Migrated  : 3243 of 3243

Number of Virtual Copies Migrated  : 2010 of 2010

Number of Assets with Metadata Migrated  : 48683 of 48741

Number of User Keyword Migrated  : 483 of 545

Number of Person Keyword Migrated  : 37

NOTIFICATIONS

Warning Messages

-------------------------------

* Non Matching Synced Asset

* Error adding face details

* Warning moved some albums into new folders

* Did not attempt to add some assets to albums

* Unable to locate source folders

* Some images had metadata conflicts but were successfully migrated

* Some synced collections will have moved after migration

58 Assets' metadata were not migrated as the following source files had meta data conflict

[Lightroom gave me the location and name of all 58 files]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I don't have an answer regarding your missing files.

That aside: Your post prompts me to ask again

(I've asked many times before now, have received varied replies, all of which make no logical sense to me)

WHY?

Why send massive catalogs to be stored on a server somewhere on the planet?

The files are already stored locally, processed (or not) using Lr Classic and (maybe) some of them Exported to a local location.

It surely can't be that you want to be able to 'work on' the images from some computer or device other than your main system.

'Work on them' in software that is version 1.1 opposed to software that is version 7.1? Really?

'Be able to view/show' from any computer or device?

So - a photo you took while on vacation in 2014 of a building you thought was interesting is important enough that you may have an urge to show it to someone using your phone?  Really?

Please understand my questions are NOT meant to be critical of what you do.

I've been a Lr user since day one, a Lr Mobile user since day one and a Lr CC user since day one.

I use them all but fail to understand, or have any reason for storing massive number of images/videos remotely.

I seem to be missing something and I'd like to know what!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am not offended by your questions. They are good, and we are all asking ourselves the same thing. In responding to your  questions, It forced me to process what I am looking for. Before I answer I want to say that your questions reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend in 2001. I was buying a cellphone and she asked why get a cellphone, and she did not see the point of having one. I don’t think she remembers that conversation today or if she agrees with that thought now.

My point is, I think cloud catalog is the unavoidable future, so I am fine with jumping on the train now. I want to help Adobe shape it to how I want to use it, rather than being a late adopter who wonders why certain functions are not available.

The reason this is a 1.1 version is because Adobe missed the boat, when Apple killed Aperture. They didn’t see what Apple was doing, which was switching to a service instead of just selling software. Now Photos for Mac is basically Aperture again, but in the cloud. And Adobe is starting to realize that they are late to the photo cloud service game.

I am not a pro, but I like having Pro tools. I want Lightroom to stay around as a free 3rd party alternative to Apple and Google. If CC does not take off, I think Lightroom (CC and Classic) is in trouble and maybe Adobe too. It won’t have enough enthusiasts to give Adobe a solid customer base. There are only so many pros out there to make the business worth it. People like me will switch to Photos for Mac or Google Photos. Those services are so good now and they integrate well with existing ecosystems. For me, I only want to spend so much for both storage and software combined. Photos for Mac is free, but storage is for me is $9.99. If I didn’t give Adobe the $9.99, I would have given it to Apple.

What you point out is fundamentally the issue with cloud storage as a whole: why pay to store data that is essentially archival in nature? I agree, which is why I like it when other services and features are integrated with the storage. So instead of paying Backblaze to just back-up my files, I can pay Adobe to also be able to edit on the go and have my catalog everywhere. There are also server-side features it will offer once it has the data and their machines learn more.

The flip side to your point is, Lightroom 7.1 is basically a mature product. What does it mean to be subscribed to it? If you have been subscribed for more than 2 years, you are basically paying Adobe the same for very little new features. To me, that is the same as paying to store photos you haven’t looked at in years.

Additional notes/ thoughts:

I love the machine learning of Google Photos. It does a good job of going back and making old pictures relevant again. To one of your points, cloud services can also help one rediscover old photos or suggest edits you did not think of yourself.

Lightroom CC has most of what I need. CC is a really good 1.1 app. It has most of the tools I use when I edit. Again, I’m not a Pro, so there’s only so many of the advance edits I ever use.

My gut tells me it’s time for me to switch to the cloud. I don’t want to go all in on Apple or Google now. Migrating services is hard, especially with a large library. So I am going to use CC now, which leaves me the option to switch to the others later on. If and when I switch away from Lightroom, I probably won’t be back. When I switch, I will basically lose all my edits (or take large JPEGS). So switch back to Lightroom later will be another instance of losing edits.

This is why Adobe wants in on cloud services business: once they have your data, it’s harder to leave them. On the other hand, once people leave Adobe for Apple or Google, it’s also hard to get them back.

Thanks for letting me think out loud.

Best,

Romain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines