• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What tool is this? (Square with an X in the middle)

Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is from an older version of PS, can someone tell me what it is and if I can use it in CS201x?

Capture.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

JHFerry  wrote

.  What would be the reason he is doing this instead of free transform?  Is he doing each image on its own layer?

It's not an either/or situation.  The video creator will have made the layers Smart Objects so (s)he could use Free Transform multiple times without compromising image quality.  The diagonal simply indicates that the layer being transformed is a Smart Object.

Answer #3 mentions Placed objects.  There is an option in Preferences to have Placed objects automatically made Sm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing it is the free transform tool, I like the X in the middle, can you still use it that way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is mean that your image is a Smart object layer.

That is mean more but the most important that you can't directly edit this image.

To be able to edit it Right Click on this layer in Layers panel and choose Rasterize Layer but you will lose the advantages the Smart Objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This is the Placed Embedded and Placed Linked features in the Edit menu of Photoshop in which you see the cross in the middle.

If you want to place any other picture on a working document in Photoshop then you can use this feature.

Please check the below link

Work with Smart Objects in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its interesting.  Let me link the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrVlI04D6Q&t=150s

[Mod note:  The above video is ever so slightly NSFW]

I am doing gesture drawing exercises and came across this.  Its sped up so I could not see why the author was converting each drawing to smart objects when it looks like he was just trying to organize them.  What would be the reason he is doing this instead of free transform?  Is he doing each image on its own layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JHFerry  wrote

.  What would be the reason he is doing this instead of free transform?  Is he doing each image on its own layer?

It's not an either/or situation.  The video creator will have made the layers Smart Objects so (s)he could use Free Transform multiple times without compromising image quality.  The diagonal simply indicates that the layer being transformed is a Smart Object.

Answer #3 mentions Placed objects.  There is an option in Preferences to have Placed objects automatically made Smart Objects or not.  I leave it at its default which is 'yes'.

BTW  I am going to add a slight NSFW warning to your video because of its content.  The emphasis is on 'slight' but you need to warn people when posting such content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the help, sorry about the video.  I didn't know a better way to describe it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines