• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

binding in indesign

New Here ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can I change the binding in indesign CC from right sided to left sided?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 09, 2014 May 09, 2014

If you need right binding, it is not only the binding you will need. You will need both, LTR and RTL text on level of Story, Paragraph, Word, Character, Numbers seperately.

Since the Cloud you have access to InDesign in several languages. InDesign is a strictly plugin based program. That means, if you, say English-Hebrew, English-Arab, English-International and some Asia versions and a German version install, you will get all theses language features due to the plugins additional. (It would not w

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that's an option under Document Setup in those versions of ID that support right-to-left text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for response.

No there is not anything.... Is not the text thr problem is the binding side.

I am designing a booklet and i need the binding of the pages be at left side.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try Uwe's script?

The binding direction controls only whether odd numbered pages are on the left or right side of the spine. Binding is always in the center of the the two-page spread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, I don't have that . could u explain to me?

I know its a spine but is like when i want to make booklet so it is

defining the binding on the right side...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy this text and paste it into a PLAIN TEXT editor like Notepad on PC or Text Edit on Mac (but be sure you select plain text):

app.documents[0].documentPreferences.pageBinding = PageBindingOptions.RIGHT_TO_LEFT;

Save as plain text, but use a .jsx extension (a good name would be SetLeftBinding.jsx). To do that in Notepad you must change the Type dropdown in the save dialog to "All Files (*.*)." Save it in your Scripts Panel folder in your user library or user profile (see How to install scripts in InDesign | InDesignSecrets  for information on how to do this), then open the Scripts panel in InDesign (Window > Utilities > Scripts in recent versions), the open the User scripts folder and double click the script name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2014 May 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks peter for the information,

I did everything...but it didn't work....

I have windows 8 install on mac laptop and I used notepad for the script (

for saving I used : all files/ SetLeftBinding.jsx ) but I am running the

script is sending an error and is not working...

Is there any other way? I really need this to work....

Best,

Sepideh,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Javascript error!

Error Number: 45

Error String: object is invalid

Engine: main

File:....

Source: ( the script u send me)

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Now we wait for Uwe to check in again and see if he can tell you what's wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sepidehkhazaei – what is the exact version of InDesign you are using?

You said it's CC, but I need to know the exact version number and if it's the "Western" or the "Middle East" version. Or something else.

I tested my script with the German version of CS6 v8.0.2 and as you could see from my screenshot, it worked fine.

Oh. Btw. Is your document single sided or double sided?

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Wue!

I downloaded the indesign from creative cloud 1.5.1.369

I don't know where can get those information. Could u please help me?

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are on a Mac see under menu "InDesign"/"About InDesign…". On a Windows machine it's somewhere else…
There is a version entry and a build entry.

Holding the cmd key while chosing "About InDesign" would reveal the super-exact version number.

In the mean while I could test my line of code on a Western CC version of InDesign. No problem with that.
Also no problem with single-sided documents.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help.

So the version is : 9.2.1x64

How can i find which is middle east version or western?!

I am using windows 8 on macbook pro.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can i find which is middle east version or western?!

The page binding option would be available at document setup, I think 😉

Let's get serious. I simply have no clue why it is not working for you. Maybe someone else could try the code on a InDesign CC v9.2.1 installation?

Try the following code. It has a small error handler that throws an alert.

But before, I would re-start InDesign and try again with a fresh document set to 4 pages double-sided.

try{

app.documents[0].documentPreferences.pageBinding = PageBindingOptions.RIGHT_TO_LEFT;

}catch(e){alert(e.message)};

Do NOT start the script by double-click in the file system. Double-click it from the Scripts Panel in InDesign.

Uwe

PS. Edited the code. Sorry. Changed LEFT_TO_RIGHT to: RIGHT_TO_LEFT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still not working!

but thanks anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2014 May 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sepidehkhazaei – still I'm having no clue.

And you tried that script with a new, fresh document?

What operating system are you on?

You could send me an exported IDML file of that document through a private message. Or by mail. My adress should be visible, if you are logged in to that forum system.

I'll convert that file and send you back an IDML.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sepidehkhazai – in ALL InDesign versions CS5 and above you can change the page binding of a document by ExtendScript (JavaScript) with the following line of code:

Set page binding of active document Right-To-Left:

Set page bindingof active document Left-To-Right:

app.documents[0].documentPreferences.pageBinding = PageBindingOptions.LEFT_TO_RIGHT;

Here an ordinary A4 document in my German InDesign CS6 where I changed the binding direction to Right-To-Left:

PageBindingRTL.png

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need right binding, it is not only the binding you will need. You will need both, LTR and RTL text on level of Story, Paragraph, Word, Character, Numbers seperately.

Since the Cloud you have access to InDesign in several languages. InDesign is a strictly plugin based program. That means, if you, say English-Hebrew, English-Arab, English-International and some Asia versions and a German version install, you will get all theses language features due to the plugins additional. (It would not work in Illustrator.)

If several versions are installed on the same place, InDesign will always start the language version of your Operating System. I have here German, so it will start in German. (I could force to start it in a different language, either by installing it only in that language, or by changing the language settings in the OS or with some tools, like Tinker Tools Systems which can force a program to a different installed language.)

But because I have installed InDesign on my computer in several languages, German, English International, English with Hebrew support and English with Arabic support, I have these additional functionality, more menus, more fonts, etc.

Here is for example the new document dialog, which adds a binding button:

NewDocument.png

To install a program in a different language, you have to got to the Creative Cloud Application, CC.app (named THOR), go to the preferences and choose the language of the applications, then install them, then change the language again, install them again, it will be installed on the very same place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and it's ridiculous that the original question from 2014 has not been answered yet.

NOW! I want someone to explain to me in simple English where the buttons are in Indesign CC that allow you to select binding location from the Right or Left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

to see the control for binding in the UI you need the MENA version of InDesign installed to your system.

Willi has it right in his answer #18.

See also this:

Find and install Hebrew or Arabic editions of InDesign CC or Illustrator CC

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm still not happy that I have to install another version of InDesign just to get this very basic operation but I accept the answer.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines