• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Print to file Problem - watermark is backwards

LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2011 Jun 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom V3.4.1 ACR 6.41 (Windows 7Pro 64bit)
I have an image, shot in RAW, in the Develop Module, have performed, a crop, straighten, plus a few tweaks to overall image, importantly a Transform-Flip Horizontal, go to the Print module, Lightroom template – 1 large with stroke, Check the Watermarking Box, Print to : JPEG file, Res 72 ppi, Quality 100, press the “Print to file” button – save to location – image is fine, but the watermark is BACKWARDS in the horizontal opposite corner! Like in a mirror! - Does not happen when the image is not transformed ?

Image is not available

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 29, 2011 Jun 29, 2011
Thanks Zaid, I can reproduce this problem, and I have entered the issue in our bug database. By the way, it's Windows-only, I can not reproduce the problem on Mac. Let me know if you find differently, Rikk.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
21 Comments
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have verified this happens on Windows 7 64 Bit Systems. I will test on Mac as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Zaid, I can reproduce this problem, and I have entered the issue in our bug database. By the way, it's Windows-only, I can not reproduce the problem on Mac. Let me know if you find differently, Rikk.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jul 01, 2011 Jul 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben,

I have confirmed bug does not exist on Mac.

Note: On PC If you do a Vertical Transform on the image, the watermark is reversed as well. (not upside down-reversed)

But, if you flip vertically, then horizontally, the watermark is correct....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2011 Jul 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys,

I thought it was me or my workflow that was at fault. I guess I'm not at fault, I'm only sorry that I found this bug - Ben any idea if this will be fixed in the next upodate for Lightroom, in the V3.4.X version ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2011 Dec 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the reversed watermark problem with Lightroom to my Canon 9500 through my iMac24 duo core. Would love a solution. Have looked at everything that I understand (little there) and find no clue. Rico

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2011 Dec 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this backward watermark problem now on my iMac24 duo core to my Canon 9500 printer. Am unable to solve it, and would appreciate any help out there. (just keep it simple!)
Lightroom 1.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iMac24 10.6.8/ Lightroom/canon9500 printer Whenever I send my print command to preview, the watermark is always reversed. I have looked at everything in settings, but must be overlooking something. I love the results from lightroom and would like to use it more, but problems like this keep me from doing so. If anyone has a "simple" solution, please let me know. I will bet there are more like me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a fairly new user of the Lightroom Classic CC's Print module, I figured I must be doing something wrong when the watermark on my image printed in mirror image.That's right, after flipping my dng file and sending it to print my Watermark was on the left side vs the right AND in written BACKWARDS (in mirror).

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Lightroom Classic CC 7.0.

In doing a little research in the forum, I see a few similar threads going back quite a while.

Chuck D Wells Aug 17, 2012 3:31 PM experienced the very same issue and a bug was noted in this :

Horizontal Flip also flips watermark when print to jpeg

MY problem is exactly as he documented with customer service rep in 2012. The preview of the print job looks perfect. It is only when you get the job off the printer that you see the reversed watermark.

Has anyone else encountered this? Unfortunately it can be a rather expensive mistake when you commit a 13"x19" print job on Pro Luster Paper!!

Thanks everybody for listening to my rant!

Cheers,

Jim Hinkley

IMG_20180114_220928.jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep- still a bug in Classic 7.1  (Windows 10).  I see the same result-

ScreenShot065.jpg

Post a thread on the forums at- Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the confirmation WobertC

I'm hoping that by bringing attention to this, one of the amazing Adobe programmers can put this to rest, so others don't have to waste paper, ink, and time.

It looks to me like this little bug has managed to slide through the cracks in the past. I understand it would be easy to dismiss by anyone looking into it because the preview image looks perfect.

Thanks again!

Jim Hinkley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add another perspective here - one of the reasons why people may want to flip a photo, is because they intend printing onto (e.g.) transparent film. Either this is going to then be viewed from the reverse side (in a lightbox, or adhered to a window for example), or this is a "digital negative" which is going to then be contact printed onto light sensitive paper, or this is acting as intermediate design artwork for an engraving / a screenprint / whatever: some process which itself involves a left-right flip.

Which needs to be anticipated and corrected for.

In such a case it would be actively desirable for a watermark to also get flipped, along with the picture.

And it would be regarded as infuriating if the watermark FAILED to flip, for that use case. Just saying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Richardplondon,

I'm glad I posted this question so that others can add their perspective / possible needs / use for image flip.

Again, I'm a very new user to Lightroom's Print Module, so my direct knowledge is very limited. But, from what I read in older threads, this seems to be confined to the PC. The watermark on a Mac is supposed to stay put when flipping the image. Maybe some Mac users can let us know how their system behaves?

Cheers,

Jim Hinkley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not had any personal use for this feature as yet. I've only ever flipped output that is being otherwise edited in Photoshop.

It occurs to me that some printer drivers may themselves include a "flip" option as part of their proprietary settings. In that case, this option would be expected to apply to both image and watermark equally.

And choosing that option would logically be output related, e.g. for one of the purposes that I mentioned. 

So that said, the "flip" option within LR could be regarded like the LR "rotate": a matter of correcting for imported picture data which is not appearing the way round / the way up that you want pictorially.

In which use case, when flipping an image for that reason, watermarks should logically not get flipped! After all, watermarks don't rotate themselves when you have rotated an image to show the right way up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I use LR to flip a photo left for right and then in the Print module I put a watermark in the lower left corner (as shown on my screen), the actual print puts the watermark in the lower right with the text flipped left for right.  This bug has been in LR Classic for some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a fix but a couple possible go-arounds while waiting for a fix from Adobe;

1) After flipping the image, export it. Then import that one and apply the watermark. This might not work if the edit history is  baked into the image. 

2) What will work is to flip the image outside of Lightroom before importing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't having two versions of the watermark be easier? If you know you are going to flip the image, apply the "flipped" version of the watermark so it appears correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Near as I can tell, this is still a bug in the latest LR Classic.  As Jim Hinkley says, it is an expensive glitch in paper, ink and time lost.  Richard Plondon's prespective may be right but I doubt most users want this.  In addition, an Identity Plate, if used, does not get reversed which presumably the "reverse" viewing/print mode would want.  So I think this remains a bug and ought to be simple to fix.  For now, our only choice is to put the image into another app, like PS, do the flip, and then save back to LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to diagnose the 'reverse watermark'-

Trying several times, flipping Horizontal and exporting, I cannot see the Watermark reversed.

either from a JPG or an NEF 'flipped' both exported to JPG- the Watermark is fine.

Are you on v10.4 of Classic?

our only choice is to put the image into another app, like PS, do the flip, and then save back to LR.

Actually you could Flip in LrC,  Export the image (as DNG, JPG, TIF), [Add to Catalog , same folder], Export the 'Copy' with the Watermark. (All done with two Export Presets!)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 12.3, I have a photo which has been flipped horizonally in the develop module. In the print module the photo shows properly and with the watermark displaying in the lower right corner.  However, when it prints, the print has the watermark in the lower left corner printed backwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2023 Jul 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
when processing my photo with LRC, if I do a horizontal flip, then modify my settings and then reset everything to 0 by pressing the button, my photo remains inverted.
If I want to print my reversed photo with my signature (watermark), the preview is correct but the file is printed with the signature reversed.DSC02083 web 02.jpgDSC02083.jpgprint preview01.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In a first step try is to reset the preferences to the default settings. 

• Reset Procedure: 
  • Close Lightroom. 
  • Windows: Hold down [Alt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom. 
    Mac: Hold down [Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom. 
  • Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog. 
  • Close Lightroom. 
  • Restart Lightroom. 

It's recommended to backup your preferences before you reset the preferences to the default settings:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations.html 

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate