• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to batch rename images in a folder, but not in serial as previously?

Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

What I've?

I've these 1000 images in a folder, named in serial as Image0001.jpg, Image0002.jpg, Image0003.jpg till Image Image1000.jpg

What I want to do?

1. I want to rename these files RANDOMLY.

2. By randomly I mean to rename files by SHUFFLING them.

3. Like, after I rename these files, they SHOULD NOT be placed in serial as they were before. Like, Image0001.jpg should be renamed something randomly like dsderds.jpg and Image0002.jpg should be renamed like anything like iigtkde.jpg, so that Image0001.jpg and Image0002.jpg which previously were side-by-side, now should be RANDOMLY away. And this action should do this RANDOM process on all 1000 images. So I want to shuffle and rename.

I hope that you get the idea. Solution is much needed.

Is it possible in Photoshop?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Hello All,

I guess I've found the tool which provides what I was looking for exactly. It's called Ant Renamer

[link removed ussnorway]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would rather take Bridge. If I understood you the right way, you want to look at the image and then decide what name to give.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I tried Bridge.. it does great for 'Batch Rename' but in a systematic and serial manner, while I am looking for random renaming tool/solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shuffle, rename but also change the document name for each one? Not natively within Photoshop or Bridge.

What operating system are you on? Here's a way to use Terminal on a Mac to do it:

Terminal Tips: Generate random filenames for digital photo frame images

And a script for Windows:

Stupid Geek Tricks: Randomly Rename Every File in a Directory

Work on a copy of the original folder/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb, you got it exactly right about what I am looking for. I am using Windows 10 platform so I guess first resolution you provided(for MAC) is not for me.

About second option, I had come across it and tried it as well but nothing happened. May be I did something wrong! I will try it again though.

Just incase you come across any other tool/software for Windows platform please let me know.. I badly need solution for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this to prep photos for a photo frame, or a different application. Maybe if we understand the why behind the question we can offer an alternative workflow. For example, if this is a photo frame question, in Bridge you can reorder the files a number of ways—including manually—and then batch rename them with numbers in the front.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to use these images as background images for inspirational quotes..I do it as batch process which applies no. 1 text quotes on no. 1 image. Now I want these quotes on different images. for this, these same set of images must be shuffled and renamed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge helps renaming in may different ways but sequence of images remain same even after renaming... while I want sequence changed by renaming..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are third-party file-naming software options that will allow you use an excel sheet to pair the names you want with the existing names, and then apply the remaining automatically. 

The one I use is called A Better Finder Rename, but I'm sure there are others that would do the same job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello SJRiegel A Better Finder Rename tool is only for Mac OS, while I'm looking one for Windows 10 platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Barb, I tried Stupid Geek Tricks link you had shared. It doesn't work in Windows 10. Could you find something else? I badly need this. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I guess I've found the tool which provides what I was looking for exactly. It's called Ant Renamer

[link removed ussnorway]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you found something that works!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines