• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New desktop for CC - Dell? gaming pc? build to order? Meltdown & Spectre an issue

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Premier to edit, mostly my own HD footage. Currently HD, but would like to be 4K ready is case a client demands it. I also plan to start using AE and also want to be able to commission motion graphics work to bring into projects. I had settled on the Dell XPS 8930, but the memory is only 16GB and although they sell additional (but don't install it) it's not available for a couple more months.

So, do I need something of that spec?

8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8700,

16GB,DDR4,2666MHz up to 64GB, (upgraded to 32GB)

256GB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD + 4TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory

I have also started looking at machines on Overclockers.

I'm not confident to build my own machine and my head is spinning about what to do, but I do need to buy something soon, as CC won't run properly on my old edit machine, do am carrying on with 5.5 on that one at the moment.

Finally, is Meltdown and Spectre an issue?

Sorry for long post and thank you 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the links John. Does the spec I'm considering look OK? Also do you recommend one of these companies over another?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS I'm in the UK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one link for -UK http://3xs.scan.co.uk/Category.asp?SystemMasterCategoryID=14

Your configuration looks OK to me,  but I'm not really "up" on current hardware

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My comments:

1. Your i7-8700 only has 16 PCIe lanes so if you later wanted to expand and put in another PCIe card you would end up reducing the performance of the GPU somewhat as it would only run at x8.
  2. I would add a SATA III SSD for your OS/Applications, 256GB would be OK.  Do not waste a very high speed M.2 PCIe for the OS/Applications because as soon as you have booted up and opened your applications they run out of memory.
  3. If you only have small projects your 256 GB M.2 PCIe SSD could work for all your current Premiere Pro project files and media.  Only plan on using any hard disk drive for backup and archiving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bill+Gehrke  wrote

My comments:

1. Your i7-8700 only has 16 PCIe lanes so if you later wanted to expand and put in another PCIe card you would end up reducing the performance of the GPU somewhat as it would only run at x8.

That would be the case only if all of the expansion slots and onboard components connected directly to the CPU - and then, the user might have had absolutely no room whatsoever to run even the integrated graphics, let alone a discrete GPU. But all CPUs, the LGA 1151 models included, also have a DMI connection to a PCH that also offers additional PCIe lanes. In the case of the Z370 chipset's PCH, it technically provides up to 24 additional PCIe lanes; however, due to the restricted throughput of the DMI 3.0 that the Z370 uses, no more than eight of those 24 PCIe lanes (at full PCIe 3.0 spec) may be used simultaneously. This is in addition to the 16 PCIe lanes on the CPU that the primary GPU uses.

And remember the first-generation i7-900 series CPUs? Those CPUs had no PCIe controller at all integrated into the CPU package. Therefore, on that LGA 1366 platform separate bridge chips were required to even provide any PCIe lanes at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks both, I really appreciate your time with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines