• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layers gone!

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting really frustrated. I have read several forums and there doesn't seem to be a clear answer on this issue. Recently, my photoshop has begun to not work properly. I do a lot of work where I need to make several edits to a file. I usually create a psd first then save as pdf, but occasionally I just save it as a pdf. Either way, when I save my file, and come back to edit, all layers have been merged. It only shows a background layer so I cannot edit the file. I make sure the layers box is checked and follow all the correct steps that I have been following forever. Now all the sudden it is flattening the image when saving.

Can anyone help with this problem? I am losing too much work because of this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Hi Scott

This is a common issue and is caused by the checkboxes.

1. When you first save a PSD , it will have save layers checked

2. When you save as a PDF there is a warning - but the implications are easily missed

If you uncheck Preserve Photoshop Editing capabilities to widen compatibility then the PDF is saved flattened as you would expect, although the layers remain on your open document so you can still do a further Save As and save it unflattened if you wish

3. But there is a further "gotcha" (

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

When you click 'save as' below where you put in your file name and type of file you want to save it as there is a bunch of tick boxes, so you just ticked the 'layers' tick box (which gave you a yellow attention notice in any case) ... and voila!!! Everything is back to normal

so you need to check the layer option otherwise it will be one layer instead of the original layers 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do, as mentioned in my post, make sure it is ticked. That doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

it's possible the layered PSD image became corrupted and Photoshop is just loading the flattened composite.

I suggest resetting Photoshop's preferences, just to rule out a corrupted preferences file.

To reset the preferences:

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Scott

This is a common issue and is caused by the checkboxes.

1. When you first save a PSD , it will have save layers checked

2. When you save as a PDF there is a warning - but the implications are easily missed

If you uncheck Preserve Photoshop Editing capabilities to widen compatibility then the PDF is saved flattened as you would expect, although the layers remain on your open document so you can still do a further Save As and save it unflattened if you wish

3. But there is a further "gotcha" (which is what the warning eluded to).  If you now try to Save As a PSD you will find the save layers box has been unchecked and you need to recheck it to save with layers. If you do not check it - then it will save flattened

Note : This only happens if you uncheck Preserve Photoshop Editing Capabilities when saving the PDF.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines