Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is the logo not sharp?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Why is my logo not sharp? It is made with photoshop: 2400x2400px saved as PNG. When the logo is bigger, you will not the edges of the circle. How can i fix this?

Logo: http://fbrbikes.nl

Thanks!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Faberh,

If you zoom in the image gets cut off due to the screen size, is that what is happening here? 

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean this?

It looks crisp to me viewed as large as Firefox will allow me.

But not so good when viewed with Chrome.  Yes a definite problem there, but this is outside my area of expertise, and I suspect more to do with your website coding. It looks like Firefox is displaying it as a vector graphic, but Chrome as a raster.

We'll try and draw our Nancy into the discussion.  She'll know if anyone does.

Just check Edge, and it is even worse!

[EDIT]  I just had a look at the image location. It is a raster object, but very big.  I think it might work better if hosted at a smaller size

https://www.fbrbikes.nl/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Logo-2-zwart.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it the way your HTML and browser]] is scaling your large logo.  I created a 16mp 3:2 document and saver it as a jpeg.   I created a Photoshop Script to place your logo into the lower right corner an image base on the image height. And recorder in an action to use that script.  I then batch that action on the jpeg using the image processor pro script to save out 6 different size image to fit various sizes the action place in your logo after the 16MP image had been resized by the Image processor pro.  The Script use Bicubic interpolation to resize your Png. the gray image was size to for 300x200px, 900x600px, 1024x768pc, 1K 1920x1080px, 4K 3840x2160 and left full 16mp 3:2.  Open the image on a new window or new tab to see the full size resize.  Your logo is sharp and smooth at all sizes.

Your HTML resizes your full size logo file to 75px height.  Create a 75px heigh logo in Photoshop for your HTML

Capture.jpgx

16mpGray.jpg

16mpGray.jpg16mpGray.jpg16mpGray.jpg16mpGray.jpg16mpGray.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You made a 2,400px logo to be displayed in a 90px space. Even at 2x (for high-res displays) you only need 180px. You're file has way too many pixels! Not only are you making people download a file much larger than needed, browsers are having to scale it down tremendously. Make the logo an appropriate size based on your webpage layout.

Also, ideally a logo should be saved as SVG, which Photoshop cannot do properly. Illustrator would be best for that.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adobe Photoshop is a program for modifying already created images or graphics, like photos, and is Adobe's most popular program. Raster or bitmap graphics are created in Photoshop.  Everything in Photoshop is just a series of pixels, so if you're scaling something up or down, it can lose its quality very quickly. Photoshop is a popular choice for web graphics, photo editing and designs since those projects will stay at a fixed size. Editing photos is awesome in Photoshop, because it includes a lot of unique filters, special effects and tools. Another great benefit of Photoshop is that you can have complete control of your projects, since you can edit your graphic pixel-by-pixel.

Adobe Illustrator is an advanced vector-based software. So, unlike Photoshop's pixel-based format, it uses mathematical constructs to create vector graphics. In Illustrator, a line is composed of two dots connected by a computer algorithm, instead of just a line of pixels. Because of this, Illustrator is used often to create logos or anything that may need to be printed or displayed at different sizes. A vector graphic will never lose its quality if it's scaled up or down. Illustrator will also give you a better print output since it's not resolution dependent. A drawback of Illustrator is that it can't be used easily to modify images that are already created, since there are limited filters and image editing tools available to you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi faberh,

as Dan Rodney pointed out above: your logo is way to big! Reduce the image size to at least 75%.

It's also recommend to use SVGs for logos instead as they're automatically scalable (you won't have
pixelation issues at all). Illustrator will be your friend here.

Note: WordPress doesn't support SVG natively (for security reasons), but a plug-in exists: SVG Support.

Kind Regards,
Maurice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

How can i reduce the pixels of the existing ps file, or do i have to make a new file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Faberh,

open your logo in Photoshop and choose Image > Image Size from the top menu.

A window will appear, where you can change the size. Instead of "Pixel", choose "Percent" and enter "75" in both Width and Height fields.

See Change the image size and Resize images in Photoshop for additional help

Kind Regards,
Maurice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is the only version of the logo you have, I recommend resizing your image and saving as a new file so that you preserve  your original logo. Highly suggest remaking your logo in Illustrator for future uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WILDCAT54  wrote

Highly suggest remaking your logo in Illustrator for future uses.

Agreed.  Vector graphics in Illustrator are sharper than raster images from Photoshop.  Your print quality will be much better.   And if you export your vector art to SVG, it ensures your logo  will remain sharp when re-scaled on the web.   All modern browsers support SVG.

SVG-options.jpg

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've copied my logo to adobe illustrator, but the file is a bit blurred. How can make the logo sharp as an SVG file without remaking my logo? I've no knowledge of illustrator so remaking my logo is impossible. Thanks for all the help!

Faber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font are you using for the FBR text in the logo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am guessing that you would open the PNG file in Illustrator and use Object > Image Trace to make it a vector, but as Wild Cat has intimated, if you used a font to create the graphic in Photoshop, then you already have it as a vector.  I don't think you can save it as an SVG file from Photoshop though.

Perhaps you might do better asking in the Illustrator forum.  I certainly don't know it well enough to give you a decent answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just did it in Photoshop CC 2018 it is quite easy if you do not need the feathering in you logo.

Loaded your png logo layer transparency as a selection. Had Photoshop convert the selection to a path and Added A solid fill black layer.  This created a shape layer of your logo.  I delete layer 0 your png layer and exported you logo as a SVG file.  Photoshop create good SVG file these days for shapes.  However it does not have the feathering you png has. http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/Logo-2-zwart.svg  Chrome seems to scale it well using Ctrl-  I save the SVG you png size.  You could or course had  scale the Shaper layer down in size with a transform vector graphics would net used on the shape's path. AI I'm sure would have better fill support and yo could add the feathering.  I do not install AI have no desire to learn how to use it.  AI trace feature may also be better that Photoshop's convert selection to Path using. your Logo png file.   If the FBR was create using a font   Photoshop's convert text to shape would also to a better job than using your png transparency Once you has all as vector in photoshop you can merge your shape layers into a single shapr layer and save the layer's path as a custom logo shape

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines