• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard shortcuts not working

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tool shortcuts (ex. B, I, X..) and Menu shortcuts (ex. CTRL+N, CTRL+N, ALT+CTRL+Z..) are not working. Photoshop does register both CTRL (changes cursor) and ALT (underlines Menu items) and both at the same time (changes cursor). Only hotkeys that seem to work are CTRL+Backspace and ALT+Backspace for filling layer with color.

Going to Edit->Keyboard Shortcuts.. doesn't allow me to set new hotkeys, only remove (does not give error apart from trying to use space, but nothing happens).

What I have done so far:

1. Reset preferences.

2. Reinstall Photoshop.

3. Install earlier versions of Photoshop.

4. Troubleshoot with Adobe Customer Service via remote desktop.

5. Reinstall Windows.

First step towards solving this is the customer service guy figuring out that the hotkeys worked on another account (I think he enabled local administrator account using cmd?). He then concluded that the problem is on Microsofts product. Contacted Microsoft, they said it's not a fault on their end, because the problem is specific only to Photoshop.

Notes:

- Hotkeys do work in Lightroom

- To leave no stone unturned I do admit the problem started when I used a pirated version of Photoshop

- But now I have a license

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be helpful if you include the Photoshop version you are using.  For example Adobe acknowledge a problem with shortcuts in cc 2018 and they reported they fix that bug in its first update.  You can also search the feedback web site to see if other have reported the problem you are having.

Here is the CC 2018 bug report I found.

Photoshop CC 2018: Shortcuts using Alt key aren't working correctly (e.g. Alt-Backspace) | Photoshop...

You should never use pirated software ever. There is no way to know what was added to the stolen software beside cracking its protection.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issue, DellXPS, Windows10, latest Photoshop version.

Alt, spacebar, ctrl, arrowkeys and numpad work. But none of the letter keys or numbers function. They just do nothing like they are disabled.

EDIT: found a "hack" to partially fix it:

Add American English as an optional keyboard in Windows 10 language settings. Then you can use the shortcuts, but also typing is in the american format then with no umlauts letters for example that are needed here in Finland.

How do we determine which languages and keyboards does Photoshop use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see shortcuts fail to work sometimes on my Windows 10 system it like Photoshop looses the Keyboard. When windows give Photoshop Keyboard focus they start working again.  I do not know if the bug is in Windows or In Photoshop it happens often when I first start Photoshop.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed my Windows preferred language from English with danish keyboard to Danish with danish keyboard and photoshop started responding to keyboard inputs again. Not sure why or how but it works for me so check your Windows preferred language and not just the keyboard layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This actually worked! I have two presets on my computer (English with Swedish keyboard & English with English keyboard) on default I have the Swedish keyboard with English language but I often accidentally switch between the two. The last few days I've searched everywhere for a solution to why Photoshop didn't work and I've tried everything from resetting preferances to reinstalling photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and as additional info, this only seems to affect Photoshop. In Premiere and Illustrator keyboard shortcuts work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had same issue yesterday.Turns out the keyboard shortcuts" Illustrator Defaults.kys"  file is missing.

Check application\illustrator\presents\en_US\Keyboard Shortcuts

if you don't have the file, this might solve your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines