Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Muse separates words

Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

when I test my site, some words are separated wrong and without using a hyphen. Attached is an example with the words "mountai ns" and "countrie s". Here is the link to the site: Homepage

What can I do against it? Is this a bug or do I have any wrong settings set?

muse-separates-words.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Thanks to all of you for trying to help me, but I think I found a better solution for this problem.

I assigned a paragraph style to the text and added "word-wrap: normal;" to the CSS.

Now the text is no longer separated and the textbox can still be resized. Works in all browsers that I tested.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have done some settings here:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-16 um 15.17.20.png

You may also have set your textbox to resize in a fluid design. Check this and set it to resize to none or enlarge the text box.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

I don't have any settings made in the picture you posted, all are set to "0".

Does it mean I can't resize the textbox in fluid design when I want to avoid these separations? Isn't there another possibility to solve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Even I had a look at your file, and the conditions mentioned by the ACPs Guenter and Uwe Roader above are correct.

You can follow any of the instructions mentioned (Either increase the text frame height, or set them as non responsive) and issue will be fixed.

Thanks,

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all of you for trying to help me, but I think I found a better solution for this problem.

I assigned a paragraph style to the text and added "word-wrap: normal;" to the CSS.

Now the text is no longer separated and the textbox can still be resized. Works in all browsers that I tested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fotoroeder  schrieb

You may also have set your textbox to resize in a fluid design. Check this and set it to resize to none or enlarge the text box.

Best Regards,

Uwe

You should set your text box to not resize at all and it should work.

Take care, to center it (three dots pinning) and to keep its size at 320 or lower.

If this is not possible because you persist on the size of 72, even on mobile (what i don't recommend), you have to add a breakpoint

and resize it at this breakpoint.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey pascalk,

Unfortunately, I am unable to reproduce your issue!

It might be an issue with a specific font or any settings in your file.

Please share a very small .muse file which has only the text so we can check at our ends - Please Provide a .muse File to Help Us Fixing Your Issue!

Regards,

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the link to the muse file: https://adobe.ly/2Dikyk0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is normal behaviour, when a complete word doesn’t fit into one line. What else should Muse do?

The reasons for this:

• The text frame is too narrow.
  • You have assigned a padding to the text frame.
  • You have assigned margins and/or indents, as fotoroeder​ states.
  • The text frame is responsive and gets to narrow to allow these words to fit into one line, as fotoroeder​ stated too.
  • You inadvertently used a [Return] or a line break [Shift Return].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As we already told: The text frame is to narrow, especially, when you are dragging your browser window smaller (the text frame is responsive). What else should Muse do, if a word doesn’t fit into a given line? Delete the word and use a different one

(In addition: Every browser has its own text engine (Muse itself too). You can’t rely, that the text flow in every browser will bethe same. That is one of the big drawbacks of web design and has nothing to with Muse. Muse can’t influence the text flow behaviour (kerning, spacing, size, …, …) of different browsers. The only thing, you can do, it to be aware of this issue and take this into account, while designing your site.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What? And what happens in this case, when the word is longer as a text frame width? Miracle? Witchcraft?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The word goes beyond the text frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If so: why not choose a wider textframe from the beginning. But if the problem is solved for you, it’s ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I would choose a wider textframe, the complete text would go wider, not only the long words.

In my project the headlines now go beyond the textframe if they are too long, but the bodytext stays in the textframe (because of smaller font size).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines