• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Process multiple files and place in source directory seems difficult

Contributor ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I attempt to process multiple files in either editor or organizer (either name change or batch color adjust) it appears that the "place modified files into source directory" check box is always grayed out. Program is obviously capable of doing this (overwriting the original files) because when I manually select write to original directory in the "browse" directories window, it goes ahead and does it.

So does anyone have a clue as to why the "source directory" is grayed out?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

cz35895897  wrote

When I attempt to process multiple files in either editor or organizer (either name change or batch color adjust) it appears that the "place modified files into source directory" check box is always grayed out. Program is obviously capable of doing this (overwriting the original files) because when I manually select write to original directory in the "browse" directories window, it goes ahead and does it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cz35895897  wrote

Thanks

My guess is that it is and has always been as 'intended'.

You may feel it's a safe option for you, but remember that Elements is used by a huge number of beginners who have no idea of the risks they are taking, especially when renaming. Anyway, the fact that such an old request has never been implemented does not give much hope.

By the way, did you experiment with the new ability of the organizer 2018 to batch edit without going to the editor?

What makes the organizer very powerful for batch editing:

- The 'Export' function. Smart workflows don't make you save necessarily all your variants for all purposes. The 'export' function is and should be used heavily when outputting temporary files for a specific output purpose (the output files are not managed in the catalog but you can re-export them from your albums)

- The above batch feature of the organizer 2018

- The ease to use version sets

- The smart use of the ACR module to edit a batch, not only of raws, but also of jpegs. The parametric editing saved in xmp sidecar files (raws) or in the file metadata header does not require creating an output file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tend to agree based on endless confirm this and confirm that dialogs. Previously I was using another software which allowed me to opt out of multiple confirms in the system options. I have all of my photos original captures backed up to an external drive, so when I edit I do want it to "over write", always. Sometimes, and I have yet to figure out how un-intentionally I did it either thru the Editor or the Organizer, I would end up having my files saved with a -1 added to the file name. I would have thought that was another safety feature, but the original file is not there anymore

Ironically I started out looking for batch processing in the Organizer and when I did not find it I moved on to the Editor. Based on your comment I went to the export function. However it does not appear to have any "processing" functions.

I had a number of old video frame capture which had a purple hue, that needed to be batch edited. Even with the Editor batch process I was not 100% satisfied, the processed files were better, but not right. Seems the neutral grey assumption was not valid on all frames.

On a side note regarding this, my "other" software has what turned out to be a very useful function on color correction feature. When dealing with a large number of similarly bad color balance shots (ie the video captures), once you find one with a good correction, you can apply the same correction to all of the others.

PS Thanks for ALL your thought out rather than canned answers. Especially since so many questions in the forums seem to lend themselves to canned answers. Sorting thru must be a chore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes, and I have yet to figure out how un-intentionally I did it either thru the Editor or the Organizer, I would end up having my files saved with a -1 added to the file name. I would have thought that was another safety feature, but the original file is not there anymore.

The usual situation when you find a -1 suffix (without 'edited-1') is when you import (donwload) files which are already in the current catalog with the same filename. That may happen in different situations even if the download dialog is supposed to filter importing already cataloged files (those 'duplicates' are recognized by the same size in KB .AND. the same date_taken). If you have imported the the same files with the same names in the same folder, the filter does not work... but the OS requires a different name. Hence the -1 suffix.

Based on your comment I went to the export function. However it does not appear to have any "processing" functions.

Yes, the export function is not for editing. It is for formatting, renaming, changing compression, converting raws if necessary, not for edition. If you compare with Lightroom, you don't have the option to re-import the files automatically in the catalog; it's another manual importation.

On a side note regarding this, my "other" software has what turned out to be a very useful function on color correction feature. When dealing with a large number of similarly bad color balance shots (ie the video captures), once you find one with a good correction, you can apply the same correction to all of the others.

Test the batch options of the organizer: the 'instant fix' button lets you apply such similar edits to a lot of selected images.

In nearly all of my big editing session (latest one: 600 pictures, raw or jpeg with different cameras and smartphones) I process all the files in the ACR module. I can open 100 files at the same time, but usually it's more like 10 or 20 similar images. I can apply the same edits by selecting some of the files in the batch, edit separately each file (lossless cropping among others) reselect them for a common edit. When I am done I click on the Select all button over the filmstrip and either click 'Done' (saves the parameters with the images) or 'Open' to continue in the Editor and save a version or print the image. And there is nothing more powerful than the ACR color corrections, particularly white balance. Other possible edits: sharpening, denoising, clarity, B&W conversion.

You can imagine a session where you do all your editing in ACR without opening the editor.

In the organizer, you select the files for a given output, maybe create an album with custom sort order. You export temporary files for printing or display. With sorted albums, you can export with a common starting text plus order number (handy to prepare a slideshow).

You may have an album for printing, an album for small web display... no file duplication, the temporary output can be reproduced at will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichelBParis  wrote

Test the batch options of the organizer: the 'instant fix' button lets you apply such similar edits to a lot of selected images.

In nearly all of my big editing session (latest one: 600 pictures, raw or jpeg with different cameras and smartphones) I process all the files in the ACR module. I can open 100 files at the same time, but usually it's more like 10 or 20 similar images. I can apply the same edits by selecting some of the files in the batch, edit separately each file (lossless cropping among others) reselect them for a common edit. When I am done I click on the Select all button over the filmstrip and either click 'Done' (saves the parameters with the images) or 'Open' to continue in the Editor and save a version or print the image. And there is nothing more powerful than the ACR color corrections, particularly white balance.

Absolutely brilliant technique, both the ACR apply same edit to multiple files AND batch editing in Organizer thru Instant fix. Wish I would have found it earlier. Works like a champ.

Although Organizer crashed the first time I exited thru"Done". Re loaded Organizer, and it worked fine the second time.

Forgot to track my memory usage I guess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My main gripe in using the ACR module for jpegs is that I can't do that directly from the organizer. That's the huge advantage of using Lightroom: all edits are parametric whether the image is raw or jpeg. I have to open a batch of jpeg images with the option 'Open in camera raw' in the editor. I don't expect Adobe will introduce the option to open jpegs directly in camera raw from he organizer... that would compete seriously with Lightroom. Even with the present option to open multiple jpegs at the same time in ACR, I have a much faster and better workflow.

My personal advice about Elements is to consider it as a combo of three functions: not only the classical Editor/organizer duo, but also the ACR module. As a matter of fact, the editor which I have worked with for more than 15 years is superseded by the ACR module in 90% of my files. There is a lot of overlapping as you have seen: simple batch editing can be performed in different ways in any of the three parts...

Another advantage is that you can use affordable add-ons to get a lot of creative effects, via scripts, actions or plugins (Nik, OnOne...) or many Photoshop CC advanced tools (Photoshop Elements+, Elements XXL...)

You can also find help in independent forums like

http://photoshopelementsandmore.com/

Yes, that makes three components to learn and master, but if you compare with mastering the combo Photoshop CC and Lightroom with 90% of tools you don't need, that's worth the effort if you are serious about your photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is funny, I was writing this message while you were replying

Now that I like this so much, a follow up. Why is ACR not better integrated into the Editor/Organizer. For example when I am editing a file in editor or looking at it in Organizer, you cannot simply "Open the file in ACR". You have to go to the Editor, File menu and select exactly what you want. I would have at least had the option to open the "current" file in ACR (and close it in Editor). Same for Organizer, when viewing a photo, why not have in the Editor button an ACR option (in addition to External, Video and Photo)? Treat ACR as an external editor maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John R Ellis, the one 'organizer expert' who contributed  his excellent faqs:

Photoshop Elements 6/7/8 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

and hisexcellent 'psedbtool' organizer tool program:

psedbtool (Photoshop Elements Database Tool)

Also offered a special software to edit jpegs in ACR from the organizer:

EditInACR (for Photoshop Elements Organizer)

Unfortunately, he is now an expert in the Lightroom forum and nobody has followed his work for the Organizer.

However, the organizer has undergone serious changes (not only in interface) and I do like it more than ever.

I understand the competition for modern features like face recognition or geotagging and even the 'smart tagging' for any kind of objects, but I absolutely don't want face tagging (I am seriously in genealogy and family history; face recognition is not the problem, it is management of persons characteristics, and no automatic recognition feature can help). The problem is that such a feature calls for enormous hardware requirements which result in widespread disastifaction with the product.

The organizer can now outperform Lightroom now with complex queries like those you are used to issue in Google searches. Find  pictures taken with camera X in last year and having the substring 'food' in either a keyword, a part or a caption or a note and with rating 4 stars. I don't use nor like touchscreen for those searches, but its a good thing if more users like it and make Elements thrive...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to run EditinACR? I installed it, and get the message "Photoshop Elements 6 or later is not installed" As you probably surmised im running PSE 2018. Wonder if its another 64bit issue. I placed the files in the Adobe folder, then organizer folder, then editor folder. All gave same error.

I then looked inside the EditinACR.VBS file and it looks like it is a simple check for version 6,7,or 8. Perhaps deleting that part of the script is all it will take, but then on the other hand the next part of the script changes some registry values which I hesitate to do in case PSE 2018 does something weird. Got to give it to John Ellis, he commented the script really well, Almost makes me want to try it.

'Determine whether PSE 8, 7, or 6 is installed, in that order, and

'get the path of the installed program folder into psePath.

dim psePath

psePath = ""

on error resume next

psePath = shell.RegRead ( _

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\ApplicationPath\")

if Err.Number < 0 then

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\7.0\ApplicationPath\")

if Err.Number < 0 then

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\ApplicationPath\")

end if

end if

if psePath = "" then

WScript.Echo "Photoshop Elements 6 or later is not installed"

Wscript.Quit

end if

'Create or overwrite the registry entries for the

'PhotoshopElements.Application object, which the installer doesn't

'always create (and which the PSE 8 Editor will overwrite with incorrect

'values, perhaps inadvertently or perhaps to discourage use).

dim pseGUID

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, John made it clear he won't update his psedbtool.

What is important is that he provided links to the tools you need to understand the possible issues and to test without the psedbtool diagnosis.

- you need an sqlite browser and very basic understanding of relational database and if possible sql queries

- The tools to manage drive letters in Windows

- The links to manage (show and change) drives serial numbers in Windows.

There are current discussions running now about such issues.

for instance:

Adobe reports all my pictures on M:\ but they are on C:\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines