• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I improve LR performance on my current computer?

Enthusiast ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that my HP Z800 two Zeon processors at 2.4GHz, 24GB of RAM, and a 15,000RPM SAS drive for OS is having issues with LR Classic CC 2018. My thought is that the bottleneck might be the 7200RPM hard drive that I stored all my images. So, I'm thinking of importing all my images into a 1TB SSD drive for editing/touching in LR.

These are my questions:

1. Will this improve the performance of LR?
  2. What other upgrade/changes should I adopt to improve the performance?
  3. Once I've done my editing with the SSD, how do I sync back into my external 7200RPM drive for backup?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

I have been following this discussion, and saw the question in Post#7

Just curious, why is brushing in Photoshop so much faster than Lightroom?

The best (and simplest) answer to this question I have seen is in the section- "Non Destructive Editing"

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-performance-complete-series-optimizing-lightrooms-speed/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the list you've linked, can you tell me what I don't have that could be an performance issue? I'm using Nvidia Quadro FX3800. Again, here's my spec:

HP Z800

Two Intel Xeon @2.4Ghz processors

24GB RAM

500GB 15K RPM SAS drive

Nvidia Quadro FX3800

Windows 10 64bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I can't.

For me to be able to troubleshoot your system I would have to be sitting at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strictly based on the link you posted above, do you see anything that my system spec is under par? I couldn't see it; thus, I'm thinking of purchasing/using SSD for my work and when I'm done sync back to my external/slower drive. But my next question is, how do I sync back all my work to the external drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The real trick is finding out where the bottle neck is for the performance problems.

Try running the Windows Resource Monitor to see what is up.

The 24GB of memory should be fine.

My preference for drives is to NOT have the catalog on the system drive.

My catalog and its cache are on the internal D: drive (spinning).

Original image files are on the internal E: drive and external P: drive.

SSD drives might marginally help you, maybe, but not nearly as much as people tend to think.

If you are not using one of the uber-high res monitors, see if turning off the GPU usage makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ManiacJoe  wrote

The real trick is finding out where the bottle neck is for the performance problems.

Try running the Windows Resource Monitor to see what is up.

The 24GB of memory should be fine.

My preference for drives is to NOT have the catalog on the system drive.

My catalog and its cache are on the internal D: drive (spinning).

Original image files are on the internal E: drive and external P: drive.

SSD drives might marginally help you, maybe, but not nearly as much as people tend to think.

If you are not using one of the uber-high res monitors, see if turning off the GPU usage makes a difference.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll turn off GPU usage and see if it makes any difference. I have an old Dell HD monitor at 60Hz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have antivirus running in the background? Is it scanning files while you are making changes to them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cmgap  wrote

Do you have antivirus running in the background? Is it scanning files while you are making changes to them?

No. I just did a fresh install of Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2Charlie  wrote

I've found that my HP Z800 two Zeon processors at 2.4GHz, 24GB of RAM, and a 15,000RPM SAS drive for OS is having issues with LR Classic CC 2018. My thought is that the bottleneck might be the 7200RPM hard drive that I stored all my images. So, I'm thinking of importing all my images into a 1TB SSD drive for editing/touching in LR.

These are my questions:

1. Will this improve the performance of LR?
  2. What other upgrade/changes should I adopt to improve the performance?
  3. Once I've done my editing with the SSD, how do I sync back into my external 7200RPM drive for backup?

Disk speed is almost never the bottleneck, and a faster disk will not change Develop Module performance. If that is the problem — you didn't really state exactly what is slow. Please state exactly which actions in Lightroom are slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige  wrote

Disk speed is almost never the bottleneck, and a faster disk will not change Develop Module performance. If that is the problem — you didn't really state exactly what is slow. Please state exactly which actions in Lightroom are slow.

Yes, the performance problem is the the Develop module. The real issue is when using the brush for masking. I would turn on the overlay and after I paint something on the image, it would renders. It would take at least 30 seconds to a minute to render every single stroke of brushing. Making any basic adjustment would also take 10-30 seconds to show the changes on the monitor. On the the flip side, my 2015 MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM has no problem and I'm mapping the drive through my WiFi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

myCharlie  wrote

Yes, the performance problem is the the Develop module. The real issue is when using the brush for masking. I would turn on the overlay and after I paint something on the image, it would renders. It would take at least 30 seconds to a minute to render every single stroke of brushing. Making any basic adjustment would also take 10-30 seconds to show the changes on the monitor. On the the flip side, my 2015 MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM has no problem and I'm mapping the drive through my WiFi.

Disk speed will have no effect on this. Adding more memory will have no effect on this. The speed of brushing depends entirely on the CPU (and GPU if enabled).

Doing lots of brushing on a photo is known to cause LR to slow down like this, especially if you have a 4K or larger monitor (which is not mentioned, but do you have such a monitor)? In addition there are known problems with double Xeon processors, the details of which I do not remember, and so your homework assignment is to search this forum for discussion of dual Xeon processors.

As stated above, turning off the GPU acceleration should help with brushing problems, but the issue will remain, if you do a lot of brushing on a photo, Lightroom will slow down.

Here are some things that might help, in addition to turning off the GPU acceleration.

• Do the brushing as the next to last editing step, and as the last editing step turn on any lens corrections and transforms.
  • Do the brushing in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, where it will be faster
  • Get a faster CPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige  wrote

Disk speed will have no effect on this. Adding more memory will have no effect on this. The speed of brushing depends entirely on the CPU (and GPU if enabled).

Doing lots of brushing on a photo is known to cause LR to slow down like this, especially if you have a 4K or larger monitor (which is not mentioned, but do you have such a monitor)? In addition there are known problems with double Xeon processors, the details of which I do not remember, and so your homework assignment is to search this forum for discussion of dual Xeon processors.

As stated above, turning off the GPU acceleration should help with brushing problems, but the issue will remain, if you do a lot of brushing on a photo, Lightroom will slow down.

Here are some things that might help, in addition to turning off the GPU acceleration.

• Do the brushing as the next to last editing step, and as the last editing step turn on any lens corrections and transforms.
  • Do the brushing in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, where it will be faster
  • Get a faster CPU

Thanks! I'll search for dual Xeon processors issue and try those suggestions tonight. I have a dual Dell 21" HD monitor.

Just curious, why is brushing in Photoshop so much faster than Lightroom? I have no issues with Photoshop with anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a dual Dell 21" HD monitor.

The inches are not relevant. It is the number of pixels (height and width) that we need to know.

Photoshop is programmed differently than Lightroom. It ought to be faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige  wrote

I have a dual Dell 21" HD monitor.

The inches are not relevant. It is the number of pixels (height and width) that we need to know.

Photoshop is programmed differently than Lightroom. It ought to be faster.

1920x1200 (native) for the monitor. The CPU utilization is only at most 30% when brushing. I turned off the GPU acceleration and it's much faster. So, when would I need to turn on GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to turn on the GPU with your monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here's what I also noticed. I do not see the rendering/loading next to the Done button after I turned off the GPU so I thought it was much faster but it really is not. I just don't see that spinning next to the Done button but it's still slow. If I hold the space bar and move the image, it'll take about 15 seconds or so before there is any changes on the screen. If I brush on the image, it'll take about 3-6 seconds before there is any changes on the monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what the System Info shows:

Lightroom Classic version: 7.1 [ 1148620 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en

Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition

Version: 10.0.16299

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 16

Processor speed: 2.3 GHz

Built-in memory: 24559.2 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 24559.2 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 3273.9 MB (13.3%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 6863.3 MB

GDI objects count: 797

USER objects count: 2642

Process handles count: 2225

Memory cache size: 0.0MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2

Camera Raw virtual memory: 4190MB / 12279MB (34%)

Camera Raw real memory: 5033MB / 24559MB (20%)

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1920x1200

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

OpenGL: Quadro FX 3800/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3.0

Renderer: Quadro FX 3800/PCIe/SSE2

LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Total Video Memory: 1024 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best (and simplest) answer to this question I have seen is in the section- "Non Destructive Editing"

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-performance-complete-series-optimizing-lightrooms-speed/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WobertC  wrote

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-performance-complete-series-optimizing-lightrooms -speed/

Does LR take advantage of Nvidia Quadro K500 GPU? I don't see the link mention quadro cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A GPU has no benefit if you are using a monitor 1920x1200.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, I just purchased two CPU. We'll see it performs when I installed them. Thanks for all the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a faster CPU.

I don't know how much brushing you have done on an individual photo. I don't do more than about 3-4 brush operations on my photos and with my i7-4770k CPU and 16 MP images and 1920x1080 monitor, I do not experience this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige  wrote

You need a faster CPU.

I don't know how much brushing you have done on an individual photo. I don't do more than about 3-4 brush operations on my photos and with my i7-4770k CPU and 16 MP images and 1920x1080 monitor, I do not experience this problem.

What are some of the best CPU out there for Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Best" is a relative term, I won't go there. You want to look for the fastest CPU you can afford.

This website and others rate the speed of different CPUs. Typically the advice was to get a 4 core CPU, but there aren't a lot of those available any more, six and 8 core CPUs should be fine with Lightroom Classic CC. PassMark Software - CPU Benchmark Charts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines