• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multi-Word Entries in Glossary

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2009 Jan 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a glossary with words such as Market, Market Name, Device, and Device Attributes. When I run the Glossary Hotspot Wizard, the entire word (market name) is not linked to the definition, instead it links market to market name. So only market is underlined (linked) in the word "market name". Sometimes it will link the entire name, but in other cases it doesn't. Is there something I should do to ensure the entire word is linked to the definition in the glossary?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 06, 2009 Jan 06, 2009
Hi Amy

Here's a suggestion. Run the wizard multiple times. The first few times, point only to specific terms. Perhaps "Market Name" to catch all topics with Market Name. Run again and point only to "Device Attributes". Once you are certain you have handled the multiple word terms, then generically run the wizard. I'm thinking that the wizard will ignore those hotspots that have already been created and give you the result you are seeking.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2009 Jan 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi usfg8r and welcome to the RH community.

Have you got the "Define first occurrence of term in topic and remove subsequent definitions" option selected in the glossary wizard? If so, RH will always apply the hotspot to the first instance of the glossary keyword. For example if you have "market name" before "market" in the topic text, the wizard will always add the "market" definition to the word "market" in "market name" because you have told it to.

There are a couple of ways around this.

Method one is to unselect the "Define first occurrence of term in topic and remove subsequent definitions" option. Also ensure you have the "Confirm adding definitions for each topic" option to give you full control over what hotspots are added.

Method two is not to use the glossary hotspot wizard ;-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Personally I'd be a bit surprised if turning off the option for ignoring subsequent terms does the trick. Actually, I'm thinking in this case it would work against you by toggling off the option.

It's my understanding that this feature operates on a term by term basis. For example, let's say you have four terms in a topic. Two are identical. One near the top of the topic and one near the bottom. The other two are totally different. When enabled, the first term encountered would be converted to a hotspot and the one on the bottom would be ignored. But the other terms would also become hotspots.

My guess here is that because Amy has both Market AND Market Name, the wizard is seeing Market first and making that a hotspot. So how does one expect the Hotspot Wizard to know when you want just Market and when you want Market Name?

Note that in addition to the Hotspot Wizard, you may also select text that you want to become hotspots, then click and drag the term from the Glossary Designer to the selected text to create the hotspot.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum - Thanks for your quick reply.

I do have the "Define first occurence of term in topic and remove subsequent definitions" option selected. I did this because I didn't want the term defined in the description or elsewhere in the topic. I'm primarily using the glossary to define a list of fields so I don't want the term defined for multiple other times throughout the topic. The strange part about this is that sometimes it links the entire term and other times it only links the first word. I can't seem to figure out the inconsistency.

I didn't have the "Confirm adding definitions for each topic" option selected because I have quite a number of topics and confirming the selections would take quite a while.

As I stated, I'm using the hotspot wizard to quickly link lists of fields to definitions using expanding text. If there's another way to do this, please let me know. I am a beginner at RH, so I don't yet know its full capabilities.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick!

I tried turning off the option and you were right. It didn't make any difference. My confusion is that I have a definition for both MARKET and MARKET NAME in the glossary. I would think that RH would see each term as a separate thing.

I may have to go through all my topics and manually drag the definition over from the glossary. Not the ideal situation, but a workable one. Maybe I can still use the wizard for the ones that work, and just drag over the ones that don't.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amy

Here's a suggestion. Run the wizard multiple times. The first few times, point only to specific terms. Perhaps "Market Name" to catch all topics with Market Name. Run again and point only to "Device Attributes". Once you are certain you have handled the multiple word terms, then generically run the wizard. I'm thinking that the wizard will ignore those hotspots that have already been created and give you the result you are seeking.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Good idea Rick! I tried it and it looks like it might take care of the issue. Again, not the idea way to do it, but a pretty good work-around. It might be quicker to do it this way than to drag over the definition from the glossary.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp