• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dell XPS Laptop - RAM for Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am planning on getting a Dell XPS Laptop. 1TB PCle SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 w/4GB GDDRS, 4K HD 3840 x 2160 screen. I also have a 23" ext Dell Swivel monitor and 2TB ext HD. I will be using it primarily for PSCC - will 16 GB Ram be enough or should I go with 32GB? Both are 2400MHz DDR4.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

With a PCIe SSD (aka M.2, NVMe) - RAM isn't as critical as it used to be. These drives are so fast that the Photoshop scratch disk isn't really a bottleneck anymore. With 1 TB you shouldn't even need to watch it too closely for free space.

I'd say 16 is plenty enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an XPS15 9550 and upgraded to 32Gb ram.  It made programs load quicker, but I didn't notice much else. The faster loading time has recently  been sabotaged by the reduced loading time caused by MS W10 update KB4056892.  But others have seen no degradation of performance after the update.  You pay your money and take your chance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a PCIe SSD (aka M.2, NVMe) - RAM isn't as critical as it used to be. These drives are so fast that the Photoshop scratch disk isn't really a bottleneck anymore. With 1 TB you shouldn't even need to watch it too closely for free space.

I'd say 16 is plenty enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks D. Great info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop will always benefit with as much RAM as you can throw at it but this is all dependent on what you're doing. (How big the document you're working with is in both dimensions and color-depth, number of layers, number of effects, Smart Objects, etc.) 16 GB will be fine for most work. If you can double that, great.

Slightly OT: DDR4 memory is ridiculously expensive thanks to demand. I hate this fact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Warunicorn. I have always heard that PS liked RAM but my docs are not that huge right now so 16 GB sounds like it will work - saving $200 sounds good to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lenovo with 8 GB Ram and 1 TB HDD and AMD Radeon video card and it's work perfectly, So I think 16 GB Ram is enough

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines