• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.png saved as copy .psd

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have photoshop CS6 and when I try to save an RGB file as a .png, photoshop will not let me. It saves it as a "copy" .psd. In the file I have the .png option but it won't save as .png. Does anyone know how to resolve this? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sherrys,

As you're not able to save the file as .PNG, is it happening with one specific file or multiple files?

Also, please let us know where are you saving the files local drive or external drive?

Could you try opening a new document then try adding some text and try saving it as a .PNG & let us know if it works?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sahil,

Thank you for responding.  It is happening with multiple files.  I am saving the files to a local drive.  Also, I tried what you suggested and opened a file, added one thing of text, then it was able to be saved as a .PNG.  I have been saving files as .PNG files for a long time.  I updated to high sierra from el capitan and now I cannot save my regular working files as .PNG.  Is there something that I need to change in settings?  Thanks for your help.

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

It is me again.  I just now went in to photoshop again and tried to save those same files (the ones I am trying to save as .PNG) and tried to save them as .JPEG and it does the same thing.  It makes it a "copy" and then saves them as .PSD.  I am so confused.  I have never had this happen before.

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of one such file in Photoshop with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, …) visible.

Have you read and understood D Fosse’s post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I understand D Fosse's post.  I have been making files such as the ones I am making now for a long time and have never had this problem.  I will attach a screenshot.  It is a very simple file.  Thanks "c."

SherryScreen Shot 2018-01-18 at 9.47.27 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one Layer seems to be a Type Layer, but png cannot contain Type Layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is very strange.  I have been saving documents with only typed words as .PNGs for a couple years now.  I don't really understand. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you rasterised the Text?

After doing that can you uncheck »As a Copy« in the Save dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not only having the problem with .PNG files.  It does the same when I try to save as a .JPEG, too.  That's what makes me think I have something wrong in the settings.  Here is a screenshot of what it looks like when I try to save a file as .PNG.  Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 9.57.53 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jpg cannot contain any Layers expect a Background Layer, so no surprises there.

Without the Layers Panel etc. the screenshot does not prove much.

Did you rasterise the Type Layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just now rasterized the type.  And when I click on .PNG to save it, it again changes to "copy".psd.  I have saved many type files as both PNG and JPEG.  I don't have a clue as to what is going on.  I tried to manually change the save as box to something different but as soon as I click on "PNG" it automatically goes to "copy".psd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just now rasterized the type.  And when I click on .PNG to save it, it again changes to "copy".psd.

But can you uncheck it?

Meaningful screenshots could help communicate the issue more clearly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said in the last post, I cannot uncheck it.  Sorry if the screenshots are not helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said in the last post, I cannot uncheck it.

I did not gather that from your statement

I just now rasterized the type.  And when I click on .PNG to save it, it again changes to "copy".psd.

Please don’t clip screenshots to the point of being meaningless but include the pertinent UI elements.

So »As a Copy« cannot be unchecked even though the image has only one pixel Layer (not a Type Layer) and no extra Channels apart from R, R and B?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please include the Options Bar and the file window’s upper boarder, if you post a screenshot, so we can also see the bit depth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried reproducing this issue at my end, I'm able to save a .PNG with the Type layer without any background. Could you try resetting the preferences of Photoshop by going to Photoshop > Preferences > General then choose "reset preferences on quit" then relaunch Photoshop & let us know if you are able to save the file after that?

Also, please let us know does Photoshop freeze while trying to save the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

Thank you.  I went to Photoshop> Preferences> General, but I do not see where it says, "reset preferences on quit" 

I am attaching a screenshot of what I see.  Sorry.Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 11.16.51 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sahil,

Photoshop does NOT freeze while saving the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try these steps to reset the preferences:

To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut: Press and hold Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Sahil,

I did what you suggested and reopened photoshop, but it still will not save as a PNG.  Then, I restarted my computer and opened photoshop, but that did not work.  Then I reset "bridge" the same way, restarted bridge, then restarted my computer.  I still cannot save that document as a PNG. 

I did save that document as a "copy".psd  AND when I tried to open the document in photoshop, it said, "Could not complete your request because it is not a valid photoshop document."  This is crazy. 

I did some other playing around and realized that if I make a text document and save it as a .PNG first, it works and saves as a .PNG, but if I save the document as a .PSD first, then when I go to save it as a .PNG, it will only save as a "copy".psd.   I know I have never had this issue in the past as I often save all of my documents as both psd and png.  Is there any way around this issue?  I like to save as  .psd first, in case the document is more involved and I need to make changes another day.  Please advise.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing is happing to me. I have been saving cut out photographs the same way hundreds of time and then all the sudden will only save a a psd copy??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a regular Save As, you'll get a PNG copy, separate and branched from the original, if the file has properties not supported in the PNG specification. But the original file is still open in Photoshop, and you must save that as PSD or TIFF to retain all properties. This is what you're seeing.

You can also use Save For Web or Export, which always work this way, by branching out a copy. You'll still get the prompt to save the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have exactly the same problem. I cannot save jpg from psd files. It saves them as "copy.psd" but they are really jpgs, since photoshop cannot open them again, until I change "psd" to "jpg" manually in finder. I have photoshop CS6, and am on High Sierra. My friends which have the same photoshop version and are on Yosemite, do not experience this issue. Please help !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be one of a rapidly growing list of CS6 incompatibilities with new MacOS releases.

Time to move on. CS6 will soon stop working altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines