• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rewind Cinemagraph with Photoshop CC 2018

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some cinemagraphs in PS and it works very simple and well. The only thing I´m missing is how can I rewind (or play it reverse)  a video clip in my timeline?

I was searching the web and found tons of tutorials about making cinemagraphs with PS but none shows how to let them play reverse.

I want to achieve an effect like I did in this cniemagraph (created with another software): Instagram

Thanks

Michael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a tutorial that explains how to do this very clearly

https://mygooglesearches.com/2016/06/24/reverse-video-photoshop-reverse-video-frames-create-better-l...

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I forgot to mention that I DON´T want to export a GIF but a mp4 video. Any suggestion how that works with regular video files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. I know how to export a video but as I understand the tutorial you mentioned earlier it is only for GIFs. So the rewind thing explained there is GIF only. Or do I miss something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reverse Frames is a feature in the timeline editor. You can right click on the frames and reverse them.

SO take your video clip, convert it to a frame based animation.

Duplicate the frames. Select the duplicated frames, right click, reverse frames.

If necessary convert back to video timeline also in the timeline pull down menu, ow export as video.

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 10.59.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 11.00.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 11.01.06 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now you can make a loop of the frames like in your sample instagram clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must be blind. I don´t see the option to convert into frames...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the bottom of the timeline if you see this Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 12.48.43 PM.png then you are in the wrong timeline. You are currently in the video timeline. The icon converts to frame animation timeline. Click on it then go to the menu.

If you see this icon Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 12.48.32 PM.png then you will see the menu item mentioned above. The icon means you are in frame animation and would like to convert to video timeline.

Hope this clarifies things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have theses three "dots" bottom left.

2018-01-18_18-55-18.jpeg

When I click on them I get a dialog telling me the timeline will be converted into a frame animation but video-layers are not played back in  a frame-animation (German, sorry)

2018-01-18_18-56-02.jpeg

If I click "continue" (the blue button) this is the result

2018-01-18_18-56-27.jpeg

I´m getting nuts with this simple task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It does not convert the animation correctly. Honestly on the video timeline there is no easy way to reverse. If you have the chance to use Animate or After Effects, it may provide more robust options. But let's do this is Photoshop. You have already created the animation on the video timeline.

Video Timeline

1. If you have the keyframes you can move them around.
    Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 4.29.20 PM.png

2. If you created added a motion then you can reverse it in it's options.

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 4.27.20 PM.png

This may be the easiest thing to do. And just keep it in the Video Timeline.

If you feel you want to use the frame animation timeline then this may be a good process:

Frame Animation Timeline

1. Timeline menu>Convert Frames> Flatten Frames into clips
    Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 4.39.50 PM.png
  2. Delete the layers of your original animation (not named Frame...)
  3. Switch to the frame animation by clicking on the icon
    Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 12.48.43 PM.png
  4. You will get a warning
    Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 4.14.50 PM.png
  5. Select all the layers (named Frame...) and Timeline menu> Make Frames from Layers
    Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 4.20.50 PM.png
  6. Now you can select the frames then Timeline menu> Reverse Frames
    Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 5.10.03 PM.png
  7. You could copy the existing frames (same menu) then paste them at the end and reselect the new ones and reverse them so it goes forward then backwards. I am not sure what exactly you are trying to do but you may be better moving into a real animation application.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Katie.

Now I got it and it works but it´s indeed way too complicated in my view. Such a simple task in a software like FinalCut but so complicated in PS. I know PS is not a video editing app but as it already has quite basic but nice video editing functions I would have expected it to have this simple function as well. To me playing a clip backwards is on the same level like playing it at 50% which PS can do very easy.

Any way no big deal because I don´t need the reverse function very often and if I need it I can do it in FinalCut before I switch to PS for the retouch or color grading stuff where PS is king.

You wanted to know what I try to achieve? Pretty simple. Take a look at my very first cinemagraph I created a few days ago by using FlickGraph which is incredibly simple to use but of course lacks all the great editing features of PS.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeC19fDhgv8

Cheers

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it!

You say Final Cut and probably mean Final Cut 7 which means you can use Premiere. Since CS 6 Premiere has used most of Final Cut 7 keyboard shortcuts. What is great with Premiere is that it picked up some amazing Final Cut 7 workflows but still kept its After Effects capabilities.

Try Premiere. I had mentioned Animate and After Effects as they are the true animation tools but Premiere is After Effects with a little less power. Try it... if you know Final Cut 7 then you know Premiere. (Premiere & Final Cut are considered video editors)

After Effects, Premiere, Animate, and Final Cut all make it easy to keyframe and reverse keyframes. The best tool for the job is always the one you can get the job in comfortably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean FinalCut Pro X which works perfect for me when it comes to video editing. I know the Adobe stuff of course but to be honest I don´t like the pricing. I´m fine with 10 Euros a month for PS but that´s all I need from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Final Cut X is great too. I’m actually an ACT too and teach both Premiere & X. Either one is fine for what you are doing. Think you got it covered!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There is another method for doing this. I recently released a photoshop panel I created that allows you to reverse video in photoshop just using one click.  You can find it at this site: https://kofiamoa.photo/kp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the easiest I've seen so far -

Select the clip you want to mirror

Go to the top of photoshop and click Edit

Scroll down and Click Transform

Click on either Flip Horizontal or Flip Vertical

A box will pop up that asks if you want to convert it to smart object layer

Click Convert (may take a little time if you have a lot of graphics to flip)

Go back and play with the Timeline slider back and forth and watch the mirror magic happen!

Basically you are treating is as a layer and mirroring it like it was a single layer but it works with the whole clip !  : )

PS - This is Frank's mom, Joanne.  I forgot I was logged into my son's adobe account until after it posted my reply. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

NOTE: I forgot to add that once you convert the layer to the smart object layer it won't be as easy to edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines