• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select and mask tool not working CC2017

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using the new select and mask tool (having been very familiar with the old refine edge tool) after upgrading to CC2017 and when that launches, the tools do not work. The lasso tool does not create a selection, and if I bring in a selection started in the main photoshop workspace, the refine edge brush tool does nothing when I paint over the edge.  The transparency slider also does nothing.  I am working on a MAC running Sierra. So far this is the only bug I've found in the update.  Anyone else having this problem? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

You can still use the Refine Edge Tool:

Refine Edge has Returned

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still use the Refine Edge Tool:

Refine Edge has Returned

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. After a lot more testing, it appears that the tool doesn't work on an image layer. Once I flattened the image it worked ok. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select and Mask should work on an image layer - it works here

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, nothing is working in SELECT AND MASK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Can you provide a screenshot?

Thanks,

Sim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to amend my previous comment and just say the problem is hard to localize because it shows up inconsistently and the tool just seems very "buggy".  Worst case scenario is, in the image below, i click on the select tool and nothing happens. Or I click on the select tool and it lets me make an initial selection of the bird but then if I click on either of the checkboxes on the right to change how the image is displayed, or change the radius, the selection disappears. Or if it doesn't disappear, then it acts 'locked' and using the refine edge brush along the marching ants does nothing.  If  I click the OK button is to Save the selection as a mask, it will do that, but it won't let me further modify the selection.

By contrast, yesterday I was able to Shift while grabbing the Select and Mask tool to generate the old Refine Edge dialog box and I was able to go back and forth refining on the edge of the selection quite a few times.  Today that approach doesn't seem to be working whether I try a flattened image or a an image layer.

I also tried several other images and I have the same problem.  I haven't tried reinstalling CC 2017 because I don't want to have to reinstall plugins that seem to disappear whenever an upgrade is released, but if I encounter a situation where I absolutely need that tool for a project, then I'll give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did your problem get fixed? I have similar problems with tools on my Photoshop. Someone said it was a wacom tablet problem so I bought a new one and still have random tool issues. Sometimes lasso doesn't work, other time move etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  It doesn't even invert selection when in the screen to tweak the selection!!! Very aggravating.  Has anyone found a solution yet?  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The mask and select option is greyed and I cannot select it. Only with one imagemask and select.jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to be in Quick Mask Mode (Q).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I was in quick mode, thanks for the quick reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After leaving the Quick Mask Mode did the functionality become available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Same problem here. And I'm not in Quick Mask Mode. No solution found yet, very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, when i use "select and mask" my photoshop freeze after 10 seconds, i can use it with alot of lag for 10 seconds, but after that it freeze and i cant do anything to it. I use windows 10 x64 with a waom intuos pro large, and in task manager it doesnt show photoshop as "dont respond", it is working as normal, taking normal usage from my machine, so this freeze is not recongnized as an error, it just makes photoshoop freeze and all i can do is "end task". I keep using it with a mouse becouse i really need this option, but i need to unplug the tablet when i do it, and its verry unacurate using it this way, but at least is working. Please, if anyone knows a solution will be much apreciated!! i dont even know, is a tablet problem, or a software, or what? is it from wacom or from photoshop? can someone elight me with some infos about this please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it doesnt work even with the mouse! omg, please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also not working.  I have a Wacom installed but was not using it.  Photoshop becomes unresponsive and I have to end task.  I had a mask on a group and clicked on mask to adjust it.  Made one small adjustment and photoshop became non-responsive. I'm using PS CC 15.5 Photoshop freeze - task manager.jpg

Photoshop freeze.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One solution I just found was changing the colour space – my image was set to RGB/8# which resulted in the Select and Mask not working. changing the image and assigning a colour profile, suddenly made Select and Mask work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! The tool doesn´t work. I´ve tried everything. When I make the selection and use the tool, then I click OK and no mask appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I talked to this guy named Marco from Adobe, and he made me to restart the preferences. Then the problem was quickly fixed.

For anyone who has the same problem, this are the steps to restart the preferences:

Preferences in Photoshop

Hope it is helpfull as it was for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try unchecking Show Original (P) in Select and Mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same problem. It will not work on a file with layers but will work on a single layer file. Deleting prefs did not work. Come on Adobe sort this out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been going a while, but I finally sussed (after lots of head scratching, searching and faffing) that to be able to preview select and mask refine edge, you have to set opacity to 100.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My select and mask has never worked at all.  I had a labtop,  so I thought maybe that was the problem even though the labtop was quite sufficient enough to handle the task. Anyway, I purchased a desktop and it still doesn't work !! I can see the selection, but none of the tools work- they don't do anything. Not like what they are supposed to, what I have seen them do in tutorials, etc. This is so frustrating, I pay monthly for adobe and I went out and spent quite a bit of $$ on this desktop when there wasn't anything wrong with my laptop all for this to work and it still doesn't. Does anyone have any suggestions ?? Is the refine edge one of the tools in the select and mask on the left hand side? If so, none of them work, none of the sliders  on the right hand side, only the view mode works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines