• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to select multiple fonts in Data Driven Graphics?

Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which photoshop feature I'm using?

Image->Variables

Why?

I want to create 300 quote graphics

How?

1. I'm inputting a text file - CSV which contains text quotes

2. I'm inputting images from a folder to be used as background for quotes

What's the problem?

This process allows choosing only one font for all quotes. I want to use 2-3 different fonts for these quote graphics.

Is it possible? If yes, please guide.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not something that I use, but this Julianne Kost guide might cover multiple fonts with Variables.

Using Variables in Photoshop « Julieanne Kost's Blog

How to batch create quote graphics UNIQUELY with Data Variables or Action Or Script?

Please let us know if you find an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Trevor.Dennis it does not guide on "how to use different fonts".. it depicts the basic function of data variables.. that I've learnt already.. I know you meant to help.. so thank you..

Anyone else, please guide me on this, about how to use multiple fonts in above function?(you can watch above video for further clarity)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you checked thread I liked to? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did! In fact, I had created that actually!! If you go through it, you'll find that I got some part solutions from that thread, but still not able to find this solution to use "multiple fonts" in data driven graphics, which I really need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is only one Type Layer per image it should not be too hard to use a Script to randomly apply one of a limited number of fonts to them after the layered images have been created.

You could ask for help over at

Photoshop Scripting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two type layers, one for Quote and another for Author. It's fine if the font type or Author remains same in all layered images, I want different-different fonts for Quote. I'll follow the link to sub-category and post there my concern. thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is hope for this task, just keep asking. It is possible to play with visibility variables. Basically, if you want to use 3 different fonts then you must create 3 text layers in your template. Use different fonts for each text layer. Play with visibility to always have only one text layer visible while other 2 will be hidden. I am trying to accomplish that task and it works. Here is example text file with variables. You must repeat the same quote for all 3 layers. Visibility variables will hide two others so only one will be visible. Hopefully, this will help you something.

TextVariable1 TextVariable2 TextVariable3 VisibilityVariable1 VisibilityVariable2 VisibilityVariable3

Text to Replace Text to Replace Text to Replace true false false

Some Other Text Some Other Text Some Other Text false true false

Third text quote Third text quote Third text quote false false true

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive me but this sounds to complicated to me! I tried to follow it by creating 3 different layers in a single template.. but then couldn't go further into Data Variables.. as at the end it gave error like "There were not enough variable names in the first line of the text file." If you can may be record a video, it would be easy to follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my video recording which is created in a rush because I want to help you as soon as possible. Hopefully, it will help you for now.

Using Text Replacement & Visibility Variables With Type Layers in Photoshop - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another way of doing the same thing with only text variables without visibility variables assigned. You can skip visibility variables what doubles the number of variables and maybe confuse you. It is possible to substitute text on type layer with empty space by typing " " in a column with text substitution variable (you must press space bar between quotation marks to make empty space). Here is how it looks like in data set:

TextVariable1 TextVariable2 TextVariable3

" " First quote " "

Second quote " " " "

" " " " Third quote

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for taking extra concern and create video! I liked the way easily you explained it. This is bit complex for me. And I'll test it on my excel file.

My excel file has 300 Quotes in 300 rows. So variable name for that column is "quote", now I need to try and see how can I assign this operation to single column, so that it changes fonts for each quote. But thanks for the insight inspiration, may be this will be a guide to reach to final solution..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, create two more type layers and use different fonts. Assign Text Replacement variables: quote2 and quote3 to second and third type layer. Your excel file should look like this:

quote quote2 quote3

" " First quote " "

Second quote " " " "

" " " " Third quote

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines