Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC19 pathing slows redraw

Contributor ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this.

Whilst I love the new path options in the latest CC, the more of these lovely anti-aliased coloured paths you add to an image the more the path creation slows down. Clicking the next point and dragging a curve gets jumpier the more points there are and it's not an excessive number before it happens. Also selecting the path in the paths panel and scrubby zooming jumps instead of smooth scrolling, deselecting the path and zooms goes back to smooth again.

Unfortunately unchecking 'Anti-alias Guides and Paths' in the Advanced Graphics Processor Settings> Performance doesn't help neither does dialing down the Drawing Mode to Basic. Fully turning off Use Graphics Processor is the only thing that solves it but that's unpractical.

I'd have thought a new iMac with 32Gb RAM and a 4Gb AMD Radeon Pro 750 might be fine to cope with this feature but it appears not. It's a really annoying lag that makes creating more paths inaccurate the more you add.

Not sure if it's a bug common to the new Photoshop CC 19 or a specific Mac problem running High Sierra, any ideas people?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

I've found out a bit more about this Mark.

It seems dragging the image window over to my non-Retina 24" 1920 x 1200 second screen solves it, the scrubby zoom is smooth. It's looking like the Retina 27" iMac screen at 5120 x 2880 is struggling to redraw the pathing in real time even with 4GB onboard the Radeon Pro 570.

I guess there must be so much info in rendering the paths in CC19 compared to last years previous version. I really thought turning off 'Anti-alias Guides and Paths' might solve a p

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you share a sample file so we can see the volume of paths you are creating and possibly I can test zooming on my machine to see if it compares?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark

I've sent my file to your email link just because I can't show it on a public forum yet, so your discretion would be appreciated.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary, it hasn't come across yet.

[Private information removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found out a bit more about this Mark.

It seems dragging the image window over to my non-Retina 24" 1920 x 1200 second screen solves it, the scrubby zoom is smooth. It's looking like the Retina 27" iMac screen at 5120 x 2880 is struggling to redraw the pathing in real time even with 4GB onboard the Radeon Pro 570.

I guess there must be so much info in rendering the paths in CC19 compared to last years previous version. I really thought turning off 'Anti-alias Guides and Paths' might solve a problem like this but it'll take someone with a better specced iMac GPU to prove a fast card redraw overcomes this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

I also got speed issues in Photoshop CC using paths on Mac.

When I do the same thing on PC it works without any problems.

But when I use paths on the Mac version it's extremely slow.

Only entirely disabling GPU in Photoshop solves that problem.

But then the rest of Photoshop is getting sluggish.

Path issue is on Mac Pro 2009 with a new graphic card Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti.

I also tested it on Macbook Pro 2017 with Radeon 4GB RAM.

It's even much worse there.

A friend of mine has the same problem on an older Macbook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines