• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Action - open files from desktop, by default?

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to set up an Action.

Usually, I save my files to the Desktop.  But often when I try to Open a file, the selection window opens in another folder, and I have to redirect it back to the Desktop.

It's not a major problem, but it is a repetitive task... which, I thought, one Action button could help me with.

I'm sure there must be a way to do this, but so far no luck.  Has anyone solved this?

PS  I've set up actions before for various tasks before, and think it's quite cool... but I can't get it to do this one thing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is an OS thing. It's the last place where you saved or opened an item.

If you open a file occasionally from another folder, when you open the open file dialog box, at the left there is a predefined "desktop location", only one click to go there.

If you use a Mac there is this automatic solution:

Default Folder X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes @Francesco Della Peruta is totally right, this is a operating system, you can not define it to any specific folder for each and evry application. It work this way

you last save or open any file

So when you will save or open the file next time, it will open to the last folder where you last last save or open any file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't the Desktop showing in the Favorites panel of the Open File Dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actions don’t offer this features… Perhaps a few of lines of script code would do the job, then the script could be run from the action in lieu of the action open step. I spent a couple of hours looking into this without any success (I can’t script, however I thought that it would be a nice simple way to start to learn). Perhaps somebody with scripting knowledge will step in. What OS are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm working on a PC, Stephen.

I figured out a solution, not ideal but it works.

I recorded a simple action, and gave it a one-key shortcut,

so all I have to do is press that key and I get back to the default folder.

The action is:

open a file in folder X (the desired default folder)

save it as a .jpg

then close it.

All I have to remember is not to delete the file in the default folder.

In this case, the Desktop, which is a busy place for me... and which I like to keep blank after storing away the day's work away.

The actual problem was that I often open files from Bridge, and Photoshop doesn't seem to remember this.

It only remembers the last file I opened within Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines